Re-Thinking stock for my 75G tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niki

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I was originally planning to upgrade so I could keep an mbuna tank as my 20G is way to small for such cichlids.

I was researching and reading and found that I really really like the electric blue jacks! Maybe I could make my new tank an ebjd tank. (and rehomeing my current cichlids as it would not be fair for them to stay in a small tank, though I thought about keeping one in my 20 tank...but something tells me they would be happier in a group of 5+ so more than likely re-homing them all!)

Anyway back to the real question....If I do go with the ebjd I was thinking of only keeping one with a algae eating bottom feeder and a semi-aggressive schooling fish, however, I don't know what would really work together...does anyone have any suggestions? What would be compatible? Even other cichlids?

That setup should work fine. All reports I've seen on EBJD indicate they are less aggressive than a regular JD, but they still are considered aggressive. If you put an EBJD in a 75 gallon, you could certainly add a bristlenose pleco and some larger schooling fish (e.g. Giant danios or Congo tetra). You might even be able to add another small semi aggressive cichlid.

Thanks, I don't really like either of those fish as dithers. Not my kinda fish :-(

Was doing more reading, could I do:

1 ebjd male
3-4 convict females
2 red jewels females
1-2 bnp

Just an idea, I really like female convicts.

Niki said:
Thanks, I don't really like either of those fish as dithers. Not my kinda fish :-(

Was doing more reading, could I do:

1 ebjd male
3-4 convict females
2 red jewels females
1-2 bnp

Just an idea, I really like female convicts.

I think that would work as long as the convicts were females. I would highly recommend looking at Honduran red points in place of convicts. They are a closely related species, but are more colorful and less aggressive. They could be a good substitution, especially if you are looking for 4 in s tank.

I think that would work as long as the convicts were females. I would highly recommend looking at Honduran red points in place of convicts. They are a closely related species, but are more colorful and less aggressive. They could be a good substitution, especially if you are looking for 4 in s tank.

they look very similar to convicts, I'm going to guess when I googled images of them some of them were convicts that came up in my search....if my lfs carries them I might consider them.

I really like the female convits but not the males and I can get them in my area for really cheap 0.10 or free.... convicts in my area are considered worthless as there are so many readily available

I just ordered by EBJD

he will be around 3-4' when he arrives. I have to wait 2-3 weeks for him and he cost me $40....but I know he will make me happy!

Awesome. Post Pics as soon as he arrives!

I've never priced them before. I saw one in the LFS the other day that someone had recently donated, (about 4 inches) but he was a little beat up looking. They were selling him for $15.

awe, I would have swooped him up right fast!

I wish they were more readily Availablehere....

Yeah, I wish I had the room. I would have gotten him in a second.

Regarding the Honduran Red Points, you would likely have to order them from the store, as I've never seen them in stock. Their colors are unbelievable though compared to even a colorful black convict female.

They are still an undescribed species, so they go by:
Cryptoheros sp "Honduran Red Point"

Back
Top Bottom