Really, can there be any bad rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abbysue

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So...
My 55g tank is looking like like it is cycled, and I'm continuing to build up the hard scape, maybe get some plants tomorrow as well.

I've read that some kinds of granites can be detrimental to larvae/spawn development, and while I'm not planning on breeding my cichlids, I certainly don't want to poison them.

I can't afford the super pretty lace rock or Texas Holey rock that I see on-line, so I am going to a landscaping place tomorrow to look at other kinds of rock that I can use to build up hiding places for my fish.

Any suggestions? Anything to avoid? Anything to look for?
I've heard of doing the vinegar test to check if a rock contains much calcium carbonate (limestone), but other than that....

My water is fairly soft according to the test kit, (low KH and GH) so maybe I should add some crushed coral to the pool sand substrate, or some big ole chunks of limestone?

Fish that I'm thinking of include:
P. pulcher & A. thomasi - maybe some P. multicolor (but I'm thinking that they might be too aggressive...)
Plus, some dither fish - congo tetras, and maybe a pleco. I do <3 me a pleo...

Thanks in advance,

:fish2:Susan:fish2:

I'm not sure where your located but I usually go to landscaping rock yards for my rock. I tell them it's going to be used in a fish tank and most of the time the are pretty good about knowing what stones leach harmful chemicals into water. Like said in previous post try to go with something natural (cobble stone, slate, lava rock, ect). A lot of the time the yard guys will say "people use them all the time for ponds and water falls".. Never the less name it and research it. It all else fails buy a stone and get some feeders and put them in a tank together (I know animal testing is frowned apon)

Don't know if you seen this but it may.help out some.
Introduction to Adding Natural Decor to an Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Other than that I try and stay away from stuff that's man made or has been painted or coded with something. I'll pm butterflykoi and see if she help you out, she is good with this type of stuff :)

Thanks, Andrew - I did see that article - it started me down the road to hating play sand, and loving pool sand :)

I have the drift wood, and few rocks - just wanting more :)

Susan

Hey there Abbysue!
After researching both the P. pulcher & A. thomasi it looks like both species need to be in a setting with a lower PH so there should be no reason to add the crushed coral.
As for rocks there are many cichlid keepers that have great success with slate because it is a neutral stone so to speak. It will not alter any levels in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom