Red Zebra mating signs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hiya. Is there a way to know if my red zebras are trying to mate? The male goes in front of the female and vibrates and flashes his fins...Its quite funny to watch. I have another zebra (unsexed) digging up gravel from under one of my rocks. Now Ive had cichlids before and I know they like to play with gravel but this guy piled up almost 6 inches today. LOL

Any ideas? Or are they just being weird?

mine love to pile up sand... i'd mark that off as typical behavior... as far as signs of breeding... you've got it. the male will shake almost like a siezure, then they'll start swirling around, the female will chase the male, trying to grab at its anal fin which in turn fertilizes the eggs (we wont get in to details there).

mfdrookie516 said:
mine love to pile up sand... i'd mark that off as typical behavior... as far as signs of breeding... you've got it. the male will shake almost like a siezure, then they'll start swirling around, the female will chase the male, trying to grab at its anal fin which in turn fertilizes the eggs (we wont get in to details there).

Thanks I was hoping u would know mfd. That is exactly the behavior they are exhibiting. So what are the chances they will suceed and what do I do then? Lol
Thanks for the quick response.

Do you all know if the females get a tube when they are ready to lay eggs? Do they get fatter? Like SA/CA cichlids do. It would be cool to see who to watch out for :)

Oh Carey, I posted pics of my tank if you still want to see. Its in my profile:)

Chances? Hmmmm... If its their first time, chances are she'll eat the eggs... I think its 28 days that they hold them (ish)... if you're wanting to keep the fry, you'll need to put her in a separate tank when she's ready to spit, or you can strip the fry. It's a long complicated process... hey, you have at least 28 days to get ready :)

I was saving them for a while but then it became to much work. I have 70+ mbuna/peacocks and generally have 7-9 females holding at at all times. Thats around 60-90 fry every month which started to take up more tanks(2 twenty long fry tanks with dividers for the different stages of fry. Now they spit in the tank and rarely do any survive.

my red zebra female was not eating so i checked her out and noticed she looked swollen in her face, upon further inspection i noticed she was holding eggs in her mouth. i knew she had been this way for a few days so i netted her and placed her in my 10g breeder tank(pics of it in my albums) After about the third week she learned to eat tiny veggie pellets by holding them with her lips and then either feeding the fry(in her mouth, still) or eating it. after a few days of this the fry were hiding in the grass i use in thaT tank, and i netted her again and replaced her into the main tank. the six babies are still in the 10g tank and are almost an inch long. i have noticed she likes to move rocks around under her hiding place, now that she is back in the main tank, she also hides more often it seems. anyway the baby fry could be the offspring from a blue cobalt,(red zebra+blue cobalt=crossbred?)so i am interested to see how they turn out, so far they are orange in color, have egg spots and little dots on the top of their head(looks like little blue dots)that may go away, i dunno...any way dont try to use a crappy little baby breeder container, they are crappy or fish will jump out. a tank divider may work for you, but its always good to have a extra tank for quarentine or breeding and all you really need is a sponge over the intake tube if your worried about the fry getting sucked into the filter. hope this helps, good luck-doogle

My female stopped eating two days ago and is mostly in hiding now so I think the male zebra was sucessful. lol

When did you move the mother out of the other tank? I have a 10 gallon with a jophanni that cant swim and a small kenyi for his company. I could move out the kenyi, do you think the fry could survive with the bottom swimming johanni?

I always moved mine around 22-24 days. This would usually give her a few days to spit but on occasion I've had her spit in the net while catching her.

So I got around 3 weeks. After she spits do you remove her right away from other tank though? Or will she eat the babies?

She will guard them for a short time, you'll know because she will stop sucking them up. When you see her not attending the fry is when i move her back into the main tank. I also try to move her back at night when the tank lights are out to make the transition easier on her. This also reduces the chance of harassment or rejection by tankmates. I use a couple of 20g long tanks with multiple dividers in each so each tank will have 3-4 batches of fry at different stages.

Awww man I am so not prepared for this. LOL

These are the only mature fish i have I didn't think I'd have to worry about fry for at least a few months.

she shouldnt if you feed her well for a couple days to regain her strength before putting her back into the main tank. as soon as the fry are seperate from her(happens very fast from what i see) they are on their own, so you can start feeding them baby brine shrimp and fry food and or crushed flake, then freezedried and or frozen bloodworms.

I would not feed them frozen blood worms or brine shrimp. I feed NLS exclusively to all my fish and the fry are fed on NLS grow or small fish formula which is .5mm or just grind up NLS Cichlid into smaller bits.

You can also just let her spit into the main tank and the fry will generally be eaten. The only time my fry survive if they get sucked into my overflows and I have 300lbs of holey rock.

I'm currently feeding NLS for both FW and marine. :)

This is gonna be an adventure thats for sure.

Thanks guys

brine shrimp is the most common fry food(i think growing my own is kind of a pain). i generally dont feed mbunas meaty food as their staple diet food, but more as a dietary supplement, next to veggie and spiralina/leafy food... what is nls ?

Back
Top Bottom