Red zebras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

13stingeln

Aquarium Advice Activist
Thinking about adding one to my 45 gallon tank? What do you think?? Will it bully my other cichlids?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I suppose that depends on what other cichlids you have.

Lol yes sorry, I have a zebra obliquen and a yellow lab an albino pindani and a peacock cichlid.

Red Zebra is no more aggressive than your Obliquens or Pindani. But I don't do Mbuna anymore cause you never know who is going to set off a stable tank.

I had a tank that had red zebra, demansoni, yellow labs, and I added an albino pindani and that fish terrorized everyone and even after I got rid of it I could not restore order back to the tank.

I don't know if that helps with your decision or not.

I've had in the past and currently have a red zebra mixed with about 14 other mbunas around 2" and they have been the lesser of the aggressor in the tank.
How big are your fish?

I find if you overstock by 1-2 fish at whats recommended for your tank with Africans (do this if you have a filtration made like a brick wall and good water changes) along with adequate hiding spaces/and or blind spots (ie, breaking up line of sight) that they will usually do fine.

I had a 6ft tank about a 2 years ago I succsessfully created a salvini x convict fry mix witch was mixed in American and African cichlids I got them all at fry I never had a problem with eny of them they formed a community tank all up there was about 20 full grown fish they all had there own personalities I could sit there for hours just watching I only had 5 spots for them to hide the rest just swam around doing there thing even when the convict was breeding he was just chasing them off not attacking them at all point of the story try get fish around the same time or them same size it works couse everyone no's u can't mix Americans with africans

My fish are all about 2-21/2 Inches. At first my pindani was just doing his own thing not bothering much. It was my zebra obliquiden that was causing trouble but now my pindani is the boss. Not sure how this is gonna go. Planning on adding two more cichlids maybe 3.

Bye the sounds of it the Pindari took the top spot of ur other fish their possibly both males if u do get other fish try and get females for them both they might stay out of each other's way

Ok sounds good!!! I rearranged and added some new hiding spots in the tank and it seemed to help alittle. I thought my peacock was a male and my pindani to. I thought my yellow lab is a girl and my zebra obliquen is a female to but maybe it's to young to tell.

Yeah maybe there to young or the males have matured quicker then the females and want to breed but if they are not ready they will bully them my old King Kong parrot nearly killed my king pearl flower horn at the start and I divided them after she grew abit bigger I took the divider out and they were maturing a week later lol

Wow yeah that's crazy, I'm defiantly keeping an eye on them. I would be so sad if my zebra obliquen died...
Thanks for the info!

Yeah that would be a **** go let me how u go cya

If your Zebra O is Yellow w/black stripes it's a female...males are usually silver with a touch of yellow with red on its' sides

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409624970.522414.jpg this is what she looks like I see no red at all so I believe it's a girl

Looks like a female to me too, w/this species you can tell at an early age....I've owned a very young male.

Back
Top Bottom