Rocks against glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koppriecht

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello

I am working on my hard scape for my cichlids and was wondering if it is ok to lean rocks against the back of the aquarium. I have a 110 gal tank so it needs a lot of rock work. I have egg crate under the sand so I think the bottom is sturdy. Any thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Try not to the rocks will scratch the glass. It's up to you thou

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Theres always a risk especially w cichlids since a lot of them like to play in the sand. I always build a pvc support behind my rocks. I also drill holes in the rock and ziptie them together. Thats just me though. Im no expert. But ive done 5 different cichlid tanks and 4 reef tanks this way. Hope it helps. I'm sure some of the more experienced people w tune in too.

Make a solid base of the rock work directly on the eggcrate to form a solid foundation and go from there. If don't correctly there should be little to no risk of the rocks falling.

I wouldn't put the rocks any closer than 3-4" off the glass all the way around for a couple reasons.

A: Keeps the glass from scratching/keeps pressure of the glass and seams.

B: Makes it easier to clean around the rock work and catch fish of need be.

If you have no option but to lean the rocks on the glass then use a glue gun and glue foam strips on the parts of the rock that will be leaning on the glass to avoid scratching

If you have no option but to lean the rocks on the glass then use a glue gun and glue foam strips on the parts of the rock that will be leaning on the glass to avoid scratching

A glue gun isn't going to hold foam, also just using uncoated everyday foam can be sketchy because you don't know what kind of chemicals it can leech.

I've done it both ways, and I will never again lean the rocks onto the glass. If a fish dies and ends up where the rock is against the glass, you have to basically tear down your tank to get it out. Ask me how I know this. ;)

Back
Top Bottom