Saulosi or trewavasee lab for this stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 90 gallon tank with yellow labs, yellow tail acei, maingano, and Kenyi. I also got a Malawai Eye Biter before doing research. So, I'm rehoming the eye biter to keep a mbuna tank. The breeder I've got dis from before said he would give me 2 saulosi or 2 trewavasee labs for my eye biter.

I don't know anything about either fish, so which one would you get and why??

Thanks!

Neither I'd say as the Saulosi prefer to be in groups and the females look very similar to the Lab females and the Labeotropheus Trewavasae ideally need a larger tank (5ft to 6ft)for these to thrive well. Out of the 2 if you really wanted one or the other the trewavasae would be the better option but they do get large pretty quick. (y)

Thanks for the input. According to this breeder, neither get any larger then a lab or acei, is that wrong?

Thanks.

The saulosi stay relatively small as they are classed as a 'dwarf' mbuna but the trewavasae's ive seen get to 6" to 7".

Can you make any recommendations for a mbuna that would be compatable with my tank and stock? He's giving me 2 for my 1, so if you have any recommendations I'll see if he has them.

I'd prefer something your average fish store doesn't carry that has good color.

Thanks!

There is so many fish to list, is he a breeder and does he have a large variety of fish? cynotilapia afra maybe? These a nice fish and there is a lot of different species of cyno's to choose from. Do you have any ideas at all?? Fish you'd like?

Yes, he's a breeder and has good variety. Also says he can get fish doesn't haven't if needed. He's a new breeder and is setting up an online cichlid store.

As far as what I want, I don't know! Unfortunately, I'm pretty new to cichlids and only see the common ones that most stores carry. I'd like something that is less common, that you don't see at every store. And something with some nice color. But obviously the most important thing is that it will work in my tank.

Right ive put a list together of some fish that would work in your tank, the metriaclima lombardoi (kenyi) Could be a slight hindrance as they can be quite aggressive species, isit a male or female?? Hopefully your breeder can get some of these, also what are the current numbers of the species you already have?

Pseudotropheus acei ngara white tail
pseudotropheus minutus
metriaclima zebra gold kawanga
cynotilapia afra jalo reef
cynotilapia afra hara
Metriaclima Lanisticola (Very Rare)
Labidochromis Hongi
Metriaclima Zebra Chilumba (Luwino Reef)
Pseudotropheus elongatus chailosi bee

That's just a few of the top of my head that would blend well with the current fish you own :)

Thanks for the help! I have 2 Kenyi, a male and a female that have spawned (female is currently holding). My male is the biggest fish in the tank but surprisingly isn't overly aggressive. He was given to me free as a rescue. He protects his cave but other then that leaves everyone else alone.

I have 3 red zebra, 4 yt acei, 6 maingano and 6 yellow labs.

Back
Top Bottom