Sexing oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shotty21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi new to the site and pretty new to aquariums had them a few years but just winged it I've done good I think anyway have had two red albino oscars since about an inch there now about 2 and a half years old and haven't killed each other I've had eggs of them twice I believe is it fair to assume to females

Last edited:
Good afternoon, here at the site we will do anything to help, maybe you could post a picture of your fish to help determining their gender?

Oscars

Here is one I'll post other when home

Attachments

• IMG_20210628_153256.jpg
    IMG_20210628_153256.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 25
This is a hard one. It turns out Oscars are monomorphic, which means that male and female look exactly the same; if both of them laid eggs it means they could be females

You could report their behavior, if they swim together it means they’re a couple (also if one of them swims near the surface of a flat stone and lays eggs there it’s female) but I’m kinda confused about something... When you bought them, were both of them adults or were they babies? Did both of them have eggs or did the breeding happen shortly after? Hope that with this questions we are able to determine if they’re he or she :) Your fish look very healthy and content!

Back
Top Bottom