Stocking assistance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N757QQ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

I am cycling my very first aquarium, ever. I am, along with my girlfriend, visiting some of the LFS to see what we each like, and what we might find interesting.

I know from reading a lot over the last few weeks that I want cichlids, and her list of random stuff is about 50% cichlid, 50% other stuff.

So, out of her list, I have been researching to try to get down to fish that are from the same lake or area, and am coming up empty. I have a small list and most are 'aquarium' origin, and I have found nothing to see the real origin, if there is one. So here I am asking for some help getting a general idea on what will or will not match up.

I have a 55g, I have a bit of holey rock in the tank where the fish can hide as needed. I can always add more, or even different rock to add sheltering location. I have one anubias nana that can stay or go, but that is all that is in the tank at this time.

I am looking for a mostly peaceful tank for now. I am new and want to work on my own abilities to keep these fish happy & health as well as enjoying them, obviously. So here is my list with those things in mind. I am not opposed to moving away from cichlids, but she has her heart set on a specific peacock that she really loved, the German red peacock.

Here is the list:

German Red Peacock
Electric Blue Jack Dempsey - maybe but I am guessing not
Electric Blue Ram
Electric Yellow Cichlid
Spotted Pictus catfish - is this possible, or is it too risky.
Kribensis

Again, I did not have much luck with lake origins, so I am sorry if I am mixed 5 ways & a catfish. I also would like to know how many of each would be recommended.

Tank dimensions, if needed: 48Long x 21High x 12.5Deep, front to back.

The only must have is the German Red Peacock, which is her top choice.

Thanks,

N

Last edited:
The main thing you need to look into is the Ph range. You have a mix of South/Central American and African Cichlids on the list, American Cichlids tend need a lower Ph and the African Cichlids need a higher Ph, so it's best to stick to the same region. As the the Peacock is a must you would be better to look into African Cichlids. All Cichlids are aggressive to some degree, it's kind of a balancing act to get it right, I keep South American Dwarf Cichlids, like Rams and Apistogramma's so aggression is not to bad with these smaller guys and don't have much experience with the Africans so somebody might point you in the right direction.

American

Jack Dempsey - Aggressive
Electric Blue Ram - Semi Aggressive
Pictus Catfish - Peaceful
Kribs - Peaceful, will protect young - breed like crazy

Ph range 5-7.5 though, I would try to keep around mine 6.5

The Rams don't do well in new tanks, they require really good water quality - best to leave for a while.

African

Peacock - Aggressive
Electric Lab - Aggressive

Ph 7.5 - 9.0

As you can see the Ph is way above what the American Cichlids can take, I think the Ph also differs from lake to lake in Africa and its best to keep Cichlids from the same lake together.

Hope this helps

Borderlesscott said:
American

Jack Dempsey - Aggressive
Electric Blue Ram - Semi Aggressive
Pictus Catfish - Peaceful
Kribs - Peaceful, will protect young - breed like crazy

Hope this helps

Kribs aren't new world the riverine west African cichlid. You've got their ph right though.

If the peacock is a must then you should do all peacocks. They should not be mixed with most mbuna. The Pictus catfish will be fine with them but you'll need at least 3, they do better in groups.

An all make peacock tank would look awesome if you are going for colors.
You might be able to get away with yellow labs too.
There are just so many options when it comes to cichlids. I find it easiest to start with a few that you really like then get others that are compatible.

Thanks everyone.

I will definitely stick with the peacock since she so liked that one. I'll also check PH ranges as I research further.

I had a feeling I was all over the place. I'll get squared away a bit better & see about getting a better list together.

Thanks,

N

So here is attempt number two.

I have a long list, I think, for the size tank but can always eliminate one or two.

German Red Peacock
Mason's Peacock
Benga Peacock
Flametail Peacock
Flavescent Peacock

These bottom two are maybes with the Lemon being a probably no I am assuming with size & temperament.

Electric Yellow Cichlid
Lemon Jack

From the site I researched a bit on over the past few hours, they are all peaceful to mildly aggressive with the exception of the Lemon. They are all from the malawi lake & have PH range of 7.8-8.6, and temp range of 78º-82º. They are all around 5", I think the Lemon is 7" max size per the website I was checking, but that is a maybe option, and not a must have in any way.

The question is now, if these would be compatible & how many of each (male to female ratio might help a lot too, as I found little info on that) I may be able to keep in the 55g I have.

I will not be able to check back for a bit, I am leaving for work, but wanted to see how this will work out. I am hoping that my tank will be ready for the first few occupants in about 7-9 days.

Thanks again,

N

Why not do an all male tank.The females are very dull in colour anyway.You could then do one male of each peacock.The colour would be amazing and with no females to pursue I think you'd be fine with aggression issues.
You should be fine with a few yellow labs but you do still get aggressive labs and in that situation your peacocks would suffer.

Back
Top Bottom