Stocking options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eschie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I wanted to start up a 20 gallon cichlid tank and I was wondering what fish I could stock. I know someone with some yellow lab cichlids for sale that are only about an inch long and was wondering what I could put with them.

20 g is really pushing it even for yellow labs.Personally I wouldn't go below 30 g with labs.I think you'd be better looking at Kribensis,rams or some of the shell dwelling species.

Correction: I've researched a bit and decided to vacate my 30 gallon and make that my cichlid tank due to a better filter and the larger size.

Other than the yellow labs, I can also get my hands on blue ahli, venustus, powder blue socolofi, ice blue zebra and red zebra cichlids. I was wondering if any combination (including or excluding the yellow labs) could be made for a 30g?

I wouldn't put any of those other than the yellow labs in a 30.The Venustus and Ahli really need a 125 + and the others I think will be too aggressive for a 30.Try something like red top hongi or some of the smaller Cynotilapia.Some of them are really beautiful.

Do you know where I could get some of those? Petsmart fish all look unhealthy and it's a crapshoot as they're all labeled as "assorted African cichlids". And all the LFS around me have you paying up the butt for cichlids.

Do you know where I could get some of those? Petsmart fish all look unhealthy and it's a crapshoot as they're all labeled as "assorted African cichlids". And all the LFS around me have you paying up the butt for cichlids.

Have you thought of ordering online?

How about a trio of red zebras and a trio of blue zebras?

How about a trio of red zebras and a trio of blue zebras?

IMHO they are too big and whilst not hyper aggressive they are aggressive and there just isn't the footprint for them to establish individual territories in a 30.I know it's not what you want to hear but I have personal experience in this area and for me it didn't work and multiple fish death was the result which is never nice to see.

Oh no I definitely want to hear the truth because I want to be able to have a successful tank.

And I'm checking out a LFS specializing in cichlids and saltwater fish in the next few days so hopefully I can find some greater diversity (and cheaper prices) there. :D

Oh no I definitely want to hear the truth because I want to be able to have a successful tank.

And I'm checking out a LFS specializing in cichlids and saltwater fish in the next few days so hopefully I can find some greater diversity (and cheaper prices) there. :D

It's great news that your open to advice.Always good to see.Research is key to a happy tank.I look forward to seeing the results from your new LFS.The very best of luck to you :)

And one more question. :)

Will the fact that the tank is a 20x20x18 inch tank an more of a cube rather than a rectangle affect the territory issues of any cichlids?

Well that sucks. Guess I'm gonna have to go with a few less fish than with a lengthy tank?

I might end up paying a little bit more money and just going for some German rams. How many do you think could go in a cubic 30 gallon? Just one pair or could I get 2 pairs?

After a little bit more research I'm thinking of getting maybe 3 and seeing if 2 pair up then letting my sister adopt the other one. Would 2 females and 1 male be best for that?

Back
Top Bottom