stocking suggestions for 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AndrewsPistol said:
Yay! Looks amazing :):) I'm excited! Can't wait for you to stock it :D

Yea im supposed to pull some money out this check to get ready to stock it .. if not ill prolly have to wait til after christmas n thats just not happening..we have lots of stuff going on n the next few weeks with festivals n halloween n thanksgiving , christmas.. i have 16 neices n nephews to get christmas for so there goes my fish money...i told jamie i was gettin everything setup n the next 2 checks no matter what...lol

kjacks said:
Yea im supposed to pull some money out this check to get ready to stock it .. if not ill prolly have to wait til after christmas n thats just not happening..we have lots of stuff going on n the next few weeks with festivals n halloween n thanksgiving , christmas.. i have 16 neices n nephews to get christmas for so there goes my fish money...i told jamie i was gettin everything setup n the next 2 checks no matter what...lol

Good planning and I can't wait to see what you do

Ok so i ordered all my stuff waitin on it to come n .. i got eco complete african cichlid sand supposed to have added minerals n live bacteria no rinse required. Got my api freshwater test kit and gh/kh test . Cichlid rock caves n driftwood ordered. I got some food while it wason sale n i had free shippin .. i chose hikari cichlid excel ...said it was best for herbs n omnis.. now to decide on m/f tank or just males..i think ill have a hard time finding a place that has all my fish sexed

Ok so my stuff was on the porch waitin for me when i got off work.. it was pretty heavy stuff but i carried all 3 boxes n by myself unless u count my dog helpin by gettin in the way. I made jamie help me so he would feel involved n we dumped the sand in and well we rinsed n setup rock caves first but they are just thrown n there for now. Got my driftwood piece which is fake might i add .. oh n andrew i tested my tap water its 7.6 then i did my kh and gh test but i dont remember the exact numbers just that it took 12 drops for kh and like 4 mayb 5 for gh .. i need to retest gh bc i dont think it actually ever was orange but i was unsure bc it wasnt noticably orange ...cant wait for the water to clear up so i can take pictures.. sooo excited ..i forgot to get my cichlid salt n my cleanin stuff for the 55 i had to use my 2gal bucket i use for my 10g so i have about 1/3 or so left to fill up but this ole girl is tired for the night

Ok i added my filters bc the sand has settled but the water is very milky white . I did get the sand with live bacteria and it came with clarifier . How long is it gonna stay cloudy ? N should i leave it alone or buy something to try n clear it up? I pretty much did a fish n cycle with my 10g but the water never was cloudy so this is new to me ..

kjacks said:
Ok i added my filters bc the sand has settled but the water is very milky white . I did get the sand with live bacteria and it came with clarifier . How long is it gonna stay cloudy ? N should i leave it alone or buy something to try n clear it up? I pretty much did a fish n cycle with my 10g but the water never was cloudy so this is new to me ..

I used that sand for my community tank, and it took a couple of days to clear up, be patient.

kjacks said:

Never used it :/ I fish in cycled all my tanks with active media. I didn't even know you could get freshwater sand that was live, I'm gonna google it now :)

kjacks said:
Ok so my stuff was on the porch waitin for me when i got off work.. it was pretty heavy stuff but i carried all 3 boxes n by myself unless u count my dog helpin by gettin in the way. I made jamie help me so he would feel involved n we dumped the sand in and well we rinsed n setup rock caves first but they are just thrown n there for now. Got my driftwood piece which is fake might i add .. oh n andrew i tested my tap water its 7.6 then i did my kh and gh test but i dont remember the exact numbers just that it took 12 drops for kh and like 4 mayb 5 for gh .. i need to retest gh bc i dont think it actually ever was orange but i was unsure bc it wasnt noticably orange ...cant wait for the water to clear up so i can take pictures.. sooo excited ..i forgot to get my cichlid salt n my cleanin stuff for the 55 i had to use my 2gal bucket i use for my 10g so i have about 1/3 or so left to fill up but this ole girl is tired for the night

Pics!!! I have real driftwood all my tanks, it doesn't have any ill effects on my water quality :) I have a DIY python... I should take some pics and show you. It's a little ghetto but it gets the job done and it was free haha!!!

EDIT: just googled the sand! Looks awesome! It's a nice color :) I have white sand in mine now and def wanna go darker :)

Last edited:
AndrewsPistol said:
Never used it :/ I fish in cycled all my tanks with active media. I didn't even know you could get freshwater sand that was live, I'm gonna google it now :)

Pics!!! I have real driftwood all my tanks, it doesn't have any ill effects on my water quality :) I have a DIY python... I should take some pics and show you. It's a little ghetto but it gets the job done and it was free haha!!!

EDIT: just googled the sand! Looks awesome! It's a nice color :) I have white sand in mine now and def wanna go darker :)

Yea i actually thought mayb it was real i shoulda read the description better but i was so excited i ddnt ... i do have pics but they arent good n i havent really arranged my rocks yet .. my pics r kinda dark to even though the light was on n my house so guess my phone was actin a fool..

ForumRunner_20121018_093508.jpg
Dont mind the mess beside it ..we havent moved everythingn the shed yet.. plus we r blockin the dog from going behind the stand n chewin cords...

ForumRunner_20121018_093533.jpg

Crawdaddy said:
I used that sand for my community tank, and it took a couple of days to clear up, be patient.

Thanks ... thats soo hard to do ..im hopin it clears up soon i today makes day 2.. i did add a small amount of fish flakes thinki that might help it move along some.. i might see about gettin some yellow labs if it clears by sat..wait a week or 2 then order some more of my fish..

kjacks said:
Yea i actually thought mayb it was real i shoulda read the description better but i was so excited i ddnt ... i do have pics but they arent good n i havent really arranged my rocks yet .. my pics r kinda dark to even though the light was on n my house so guess my phone was actin a fool..

Dont mind the mess beside it ..we havent moved everythingn the shed yet.. plus we r blockin the dog from going behind the stand n chewin cords...

I hate it when it gets that cloudy, It should clear up with the filters running. Your getting closer yayayaaaaaaaa.... :)
Waiting for new (clearer) pictures.

Andrew McFadden said:
I hate it when it gets that cloudy, It should clear up with the filters running. Your getting closer yayayaaaaaaaa.... :)
Waiting for new (clearer) pictures.

Omg that makes 2 of us.. jamie keeps pickin on me bc im watchin the tank he is like its not gonna change just bc ur starring a hole n it.. i put my heater on this morning hopefully it wont b boilin my water when i get home.. i followed the directions tryin to figure it out bc i know its better then a automatic one..if i can work it right ill swap my 10g to one i have a 30g auto heater on it now in it keeps it around 76° unless the ac is on n its cold n the house then it drops to like 72°-74°.. im gonna test my ph with the sand in it.. tonight to see what difference it made ..

Yea my pics r kinda dark to even though the light was on n my house so guess my phone was actin a fool.

I hope you don't mind me editing your photos a lil. :)

img_2164194_0_5973e7486b27d886f1d7279bf60ba7e4.jpg

img_2164194_1_a3e4c9beeecfffdd57778ff380c5f5e8.jpg

I came home today n the first thing i saw was my rocks..lol my water is mostly clear..lol oh n andrew my temp was perfect so im guessin i can now operate an adjustable heater... ::claps:: i was very surprised i just knew my water would b boilin.. but it was 78° -80° which is exactly what the therm. read

Ok so we finally aquascaped last night I got some pics n tried to brighten it up.. Me n the hubby had to compromise on the setup bc he wanted the caves lined up in a straight line in the middle n well I didnt.. I started to go to petsmart after church today n buy me a few yellow labs but decided against it . I really am tired of this empty tank. I want my fish now.. I plan to order some mayb Friday depending on how much the shippin would cost to overnight it for a saturday. If not Ill have it done for next week bc the hubby is home I wont b home when fedx runs, ups gets here later so I could do that since I cant take off Ill have to figure something out.

Sorry about the reflection thats about the only way I could get the picture to look ok is with our door open n still had to brighten it some..

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 58
  • untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom