stocking suggestions for 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so scratch the crayfish i found 1 for $33 which i dont wanna pay if its gonna get eaten or eat my fish.. which i just read is more then likely to happen....i would rather have my fish anyday..

kjacks said:
Ok so here it is .. im hopin i got it all right this time..
Pundamilia macrocephala
Pundamila nyererei (anchor island, luanza or ruti ) not sure which one i like best yet...
Xystichromis phytophagus (christmas fulu)
Lithochromis rufus
Pseudotropheus socolofi (snow white soc.)
Cyno afra cobue (if its ok to mix )

I also would like to try a louisiana blue crayfish once i look into it more..saw what i think was one on a youtube clip with africans.. n i added the snow white bc i want a more solid n thought the white would look good with the black fish n all the other colors if there is a better fish please do tell .. i also tried to stick with herbs or omnis.. i know the one is a carnivore but it said to feed it daphnia, brine shrimp, cyclops or mosquito larvae figured the omni food would work for that too
Ok so whats the damage... :/

Hey! I've missed a ton! Here is my honest opinion... Lets stick with just one obliqueden. The first 3 species you've mentioned have very similar melanin patterns. They will for sure have it out for each other all the time. You might get away with the Rufus.... Personally, if it was me, I would probably opt for Neichromus Greenwoodi :)So I would say pick one male and 4 females of the Obliquiden of your choice, definitely go with the Socolofi, and my Afra is great with my gang so that's a good fit IMO :)

Last edited:
AndrewsPistol said:
Hey! I've missed a ton! Here is my honest opinion... Lets stick with just one obliqueden. The first 3 species you've mentioned have very similar melanin patterns. They will for sure have it out for each other all the time. You might get away with the Rufus.... Personally, if it was me, I would probably opt for Neichromus Greenwoodi :)So I would say pick one male and 4 females of the Obliquiden of your choice, definitely go with the Socilofi, and my Afra is great with my gang so that's a good fit IMO :)

Also, I'd like to touch on the Carnivore/ Omnivore situation. I don't want to be the one to say you can't do it because I keep a Dimidiochromis Compressiceps with my Group and he is a Carnivore, I would like to say the problem with having one that eats things such as brine is its gonna be hard to feed him while trying to keep it away from your herbivores/omnivores. Too much protein could give them bloat and potentially kill them :/ I have my Compressiceps trained to receive his food on the left side of the tank at feeding but it's much easier to spot feed a chunk of scallop than it is brine shrimp... Ya see what I mean?? Brine is kinda like a blizzard of protein and your Mbuna n such love it, but it really isn't good for them on a daily basis. I will say I have some Ruby Red Peacocks that thrive off NLS Thera A so IMO a good quality food will do the job :)

Oh and check out Malawi Blue Crab, might be something you'll like :)

I just tried lookin for my fish to so i think ill have to change the p mac.. its to rare.. i liked that it was mostly black though.. i dont remember what the 3 fish look like exactly since i have saw sooo many ill have to recheck them which im sure u r right :) .. yea missed alot since u have been busy with ur new tank.. lol

kjacks said:
I just tried lookin for my fish to so i think ill have to change the p mac.. its to rare.. i liked that it was mostly black though.. i dont remember what the 3 fish look like exactly since i have saw sooo many ill have to recheck them which im sure u r right :) .. yea missed alot since u have been busy with ur new tank.. lol

Haha! Yes! That and work :/ 2 builds is starting to wear me thin lol. I'm tellin ya, this 55g your building will only be "big" and good enough for a short time! You'll be dreaming bigger and better in no time! The first time you lay your eyes on a 6ft tank in person you will be sold haha!

AndrewsPistol said:
Haha! Yes! That and work :/ 2 builds is starting to wear me thin lol. I'm tellin ya, this 55g your building will only be "big" and good enough for a short time! You'll be dreaming bigger and better in no time! The first time you lay your eyes on a 6ft tank in person you will be sold haha!

Lol i already want a bigger tank....i really want a 100g but i know my hubby isnt gonna go for that anytime soon so if i can wait til we move then i have plans for a FEW tanks...my smallest being my 10g betta tank..which im considerin upgrading to a 20g..

kjacks said:
Ok so here it is .. im hopin i got it all right this time..

Pundamila nyererei (anchor island, luanza or ruti ) not sure which one i like best yet...
Pseudotropheus socolofi (snow white soc.)
Neochromis Greenwoodi (velvet black) this is what i actually was lookin for...lol
Cyno afra cobue (if its ok to mix )

Ok so whats the damage... :/

Ok soafter changes are made is there anything i should add like yellow labs or summin..

So the hubby finally finished my stand in it wasnt he doors it was the side panel that broke ..which either way it was replaced..i have a pic but it looks horrible on my phone... i might have to change the neochromis greenwoodi out bc i cant seem to find it online ..been lookin all morning... :(

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121004_120346.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121004_120346.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 74
kjacks said:
So the hubby finally finished my stand in it wasnt he doors it was the side panel that broke ..which either way it was replaced..i have a pic but it looks horrible on my phone... i might have to change the neochromis greenwoodi out bc i cant seem to find it online ..been lookin all morning... :(

Nice looking stand! Gimme a sec... Might be able to locate some velvets....

Jessica, you beat me to it. LOL

I just got off the phone with Dave and he has only one 1" velvet. he will have more next week.

Last edited:
JimmyG said:
Jessica, you beat me to it. LOL

I just got off the phone with Dave and he has only one 1" velvet. he will have more next week.

Good cause ill need them prolly next week mayb a couple more ..tryin to get my ducks n a row now.. been tryin to find those fish all day .. lol

Well its not even really started yet but its better then n the box...i have been sick so i have done anything n runnin behind schedule but heres a pictire of what my hubby did while i was gone.. i had everything in the box or just n the way he actually set it up where its supposed to b setup...lol he told me now i need to get better so i can get it ready for our fish.. i think hes comin around...lol

ForumRunner_20121008_184049.jpg

kjacks said:
Well its not even really started yet but its better then n the box...i have been sick so i have done anything n runnin behind schedule but heres a pictire of what my hubby did while i was gone.. i had everything in the box or just n the way he actually set it up where its supposed to b setup...lol he told me now i need to get better so i can get it ready for our fish.. i think hes comin around...lol

Yay! Looks amazing :):) I'm excited! Can't wait for you to stock it :D

I have the same stand in black for my 75 gal and havent had any problems with it. Ive had it for 3 years and have a ton of rocks in the tank. I think if its put together correctly its nice and sturdy.

How about pseudotropheus flavus,looks like a bumble bee ? Grows to about 4 to 5 inches,not as aggressive as some Mbuna and breeds easily in an aquarium ;-) Or Metriaclima Zebra Gold Kawanga,which is also like a bumble bee ;-)

Dean jones said:
How about pseudotropheus flavus,looks like a bumble bee ? Grows to about 4 to 5 inches,not as aggressive as some Mbuna and breeds easily in an aquarium ;-) Or Metriaclima Zebra Gold Kawanga,which is also like a bumble bee ;-)

Ill have to check it out..looks like ill b here bored n sick all week at work so should have plenty of time... thanks for the suggestions

Cichlid-dude said:
I have the same stand in black for my 75 gal and havent had any problems with it. Ive had it for 3 years and have a ton of rocks in the tank. I think if its put together correctly its nice and sturdy.

I wanted black but local store didnt have but the 1 in stock n i really didnt wanna wait so i grabbed the natural.. i definately agree its sturdy.. im pleased with it even though my hubby broke it once we fixed the problem its all good..

Back
Top Bottom