Sump info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dunnegary

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a new tank and its my first time to use a sump. I just wanted to know what media to us. It has 4 sections at the minute I have 2 sections wit just sponge. 1 with bio balls and last with a heater and return pump. It's a 500 ltr tank with 100 ltr sump is this setup ok thanks

hello

Hey man I can help you no problem. Do you have a picture of your setup? Post as much information as you can. How many fish ect...

Justin

The sump is 100 ltr wit 500 ltr tank it has about 40 fish in it. Il try put pics up now

image-939847067.jpg

image-176537213.jpg

image-2060013115.jpg

No have cichlids I bought it of a guy and he gave me cichlids with it and there all health

The media you have looks like bio max. That is good stuff. Maybe you could put some in the filter sock. You need a mix of media that exposed to air and submerged. Different "good"bacteria needs both aerobic and anerobic media to attach to.

So what way do u think I should lay it out wil I put some of my media in sock and keep 2 sections of sponge and third section for mix of media

I think you could but some media in the sock. But you will have to cut your drain line to stop at the top of the sock. You want the water to trickle over the media. My real concern is the size of your drain piping. You have a 500L tank, You should be turning your water over more. What size is your return pump?

I am setting up my custom wet/dry sump right now. I will take pictures and video, explaining what everything does. Don't change anything just yet. Do you test your water?

I think it's a 3500hr return so I was told anyway and water test all come up ok. I have the tank 3 months now and no issues. Can I change the size of the drain pipe if needed

If your pump is rated to 3500L per hour than that is a good size for your tank. Looking ato your pics you are under piped on both the return and drain. a 950gallon pump is what I have plumbed with 1.5 inch PVC. The small hoses you have hooked up to the pump is choking your flow down. That is the only reason that your small drain lines can handle the flow. I am going to suggest that you build a dual overflow. I will post a link to a youtube video. Then you can re-pipe the return pump with 1.5 inch PVC. After that we can figure out how to best orient your sump chambers.

here it is installed. With 40 fish we have got to turn your water over more. You have the right equipment, its just setup wrong.

here is another good video that explains flow and fittings. Also matching your pump to your overflow.

Thanks for that il have look into makin it bigger il keep every1 updated

Back
Top Bottom