Tank mates for our Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brutus51

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New to the hobby and I'm getting mixed advise from various sources.
For example, one person claims Cherry Barbs are a good choice of tank mate for Angels, while several others disagree claiming they are fin nippers.
Currently we have a 40 gallon tank with 4 Angels, 4 Dalmation Mollies, 3 Cories, 2 YoYo Loaches and about 8 Guppies.
Are we at our limit for this tank? Would like something colorful and lively. :ermm:

I suspect the angel fish will take out the guppies and maybe mollies (anything small and hangs around near surface) as they get older. I find angel fish look sedate but have a good turn of speed when they want.

Cherry barbs I’d have thought fine. I have two remaining tiger barbs and they only harass each other. Keep the school large enough and they’ll be too busy imo.

Definitely wouldn’t get more angel fish. And would have plants, fake plants or driftwood to split the angel fish up a little. When mine have laid eggs in the past (they never make it past overnight), I’ve found about a square foot gets “claimed” and trespassing fish seen off.

Last edited:
Angel fish are so aggressive that it amazes me people are still told that they are a "community" fish. In my experience they don't get along with anything including each other. I've bred them before and found the best way to get a robust and healthy mating pair was to simply put six or eight in a tank (size seems to make little difference) and wait a few months until two are left.

Barbs are notorious little fin nippers but as schooling fish they find safety in numbers and a good sized group is usually non-aggressive.

I have 9 in a 120 and they are pretty docile 'cept among each other. First if your tank is a 40B (16 inches high) you are going to want a taller tank. Second your tank is full and if you have male/female angels you may have a lot of problems once they pair off so you might need to reduce the number of angels you have depending on how many of each sex. If you have 2m and 2f you might get lucky and they will form two pairs and each take 1/2 the tank depending on the tank layout.
-
If you were to buy more fishes you would need more cory and yoyo but your tank is too small to support more yoyo.
-
The mollies will be fine with the angels they actually get to a decent size - the guppies - well that is 50/50 proposition depending on your angels motivation. Also guppies are notorious for being stupid and sitting still while being eaten so take that into account.
-
All tetra and barbs have a reputation for fin nipping but it comes down to individual fishes. Cherry barbs are said to be the most docile of the barbs and least likely to nip also rosy tetra are a good option - being a bit more mellow than serape but attractive. I have a few serpae in my 120 withe the angels and they avoid each other as well as the angels. I also have cardinals and they are now terrified of the angles and when i move and break down the tank i will put them with rams (most of my cardinals are big for cardinals as they are 2-3 years old but there are a few smaller ones that try to stay in the middle of the pack).

Back
Top Bottom