To Dither or Not to Dither, that is the question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok, about a week ago i picked up 6 juvenile Red hump Eartheater: Geophagus steindachneri

they are the most skittish cichlids i have ever kept :?

so i was debating whether or not to get a school of dither fish, in the hopes that it will make them more confident and not hide out/mad dash around the tank :roll:

what are all your thoughts, is it worth a try?

if so what species would you use as dithers if it was your tank?

TIA

I just happened to write up something on this topic recently :)

Dither fish are almost a pre-requisite for SA cichlids. They help calm them down, assist in spawning (heavens knows why) and serve as fodder for predators that prey on them from above in their naturals habitats (ie: birds).

I would go for the most peaceful tetras, such as bleeding hearts, black skirts or lemons.

well i added 6 Buenos Aires Tetra: Hyphessobrycon anisitsi about a week and a half ago, the Geos still hide :(

I have a few of them. Not exactly the most peaceful tetra and they do get big. Mine are 3.5 inches already (less than a year old). I got them prior to research and everything I read says that they will eat plants voraciously. I did find them snacking on ludwigia repens but not any others.

Hmmm... I'd try to increase the school, or add another group of dithers. My guess is they're isn't enough activity going on, so the geos are laying low.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom