Victorian Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seryiouz

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been carefully building my victorian tank (species tba) and I am excited....I will start cycling in about a week. I call this tank *Tha Hood*.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391505457.217499.jpg

This is a 45 gallon tank that will be filtered with an Aqueon Quietflow 55/75 & a Fluval C4. (Still a work in progress)I plan to provide plenty of aeration.
I am very fascinated by the species from lake Victoria and I initially wanted to stock 10 fish (4 Kyoga Flamebacks, 4 Paralibidochromis Chromogynos, and 2 Zebra Obliquens) After careful research, I found that these fish will easily outgrow the tank (too bad b/c my heart was set on the Kyogas, I was even set on a species tank).
So I will plan to stock this tank with about 10 Ruby Greens to start which are kinda like mini Kyogas & are pretty chill.

Well, that's it for now...I will document my experience which hopefully may help anyone interested in Victorians.

Okay, I've tested my tap water for PH & it read to be 7.6...GREAT!!! Ruby Greens need a PH between 7.2-8.6 to thrive. I want to have it at about 8.2 & I'm hoping the crushed coral & Texas Holey rock gets me there...I may have to invest in some salts...

Chromogynos won't work in a species only tank that size? They stay small under 4 inch. I have 5 in my mixed 90. Cool little guys

As mentioned I will be cycling by the end of the week. I want to jump start the process, but I don't want to seed the filters or use established substrate for fear of introducing pathogens in the new tank,...So what do you guys think about using bacteria in a bottle to seed the filters?

I have a really good one let me get home and I will post a pic but a while back I was cleaning my filter and I over cleaned it and I couldn't get the filter to cycle I was doing 25% wc to keep up with the ammonia and nitrites anyway I tired this bacteria in a bottle and within 2 days my tank and filter were back to normal can't remember the name but I have some at home so when I get home I will post the pic

As mentioned I will be cycling by the end of the week. I want to jump start the process, but I don't want to seed the filters or use established substrate for fear of introducing pathogens in the new tank,...So what do you guys think about using bacteria in a bottle to seed the filters?

It's a hit n miss. Mostly miss for me and most are used with fish in cycles. Read the bottles very carefully

I used Seachem stability along with an active sponge filter and had no problems. Had a slight bacteria bloom but changed water as needed. Highly recommend the angels plus active sponge filter. It's got tons of good bacteria in it. That's what they specialize in. They ship it wet in a bad quickly and you just put it in and power w an air pump. Google them its like 20 bucks shipped I think.

I have a really good one let me get home and I will post a pic but a while back I was cleaning my filter and I over cleaned it and I couldn't get the filter to cycle I was doing 25% wc to keep up with the ammonia and nitrites anyway I tired this bacteria in a bottle and within 2 days my tank and filter were back to normal can't remember the name but I have some at home so when I get home I will post the pic

Let me know appreciate it

I used Seachem stability along with an active sponge filter and had no problems. Had a slight bacteria bloom but changed water as needed. Highly recommend the angels plus active sponge filter. It's got tons of good bacteria in it. That's what they specialize in. They ship it wet in a bad quickly and you just put it in and power w an air pump. Google them its like 20 bucks shipped I think.

When u used this, did you do a full cycle or did you just rely on the Seachem

I put the Seachem and the sponge along with new hob filters and put 5 tetras in in a day or two. Kept checking water and changed when there was ammonia present all along following the instructions in the bottle.

I use seeded material for all my new tanks and have never had an issue with introducing pathogens. Unless your tank has an ich outbreak, or other common parasite, then it's nothing to worry about

Back
Top Bottom