Video of my mixed up 240G.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The tank looks really good, but keep in mind your cubans, texas and JD have not matured yet and thats when they come out of their cocoon and you see their real behavior. I've kept numerous medium sized SA/CA together like Jags, Trimacs, Jacks and Oscars only to have issues when they start to mature.

True that some are not fully grown, but things are good so far. The Buttikoferi, green severums and some of the zebras are fully grown. So far so good!

Wanted to also make a point that the only fish in this tank that I bought were the Bala Sharks and also 2 Vieja Synspilum. The rest are rescues and I didnt pay a dime for them. That is why it is such a mixed up tank. I cant say no when someone asks me to take a fish.

Don't get me wrong I think it looks unbelievable, I'm just worried about some of the big southern boys is all. Plus having a larger tank certainly helps, my big three are two 150's and a 180g for the Festae, Trimacs, Jags and a Oscar pair.

No offense taken Hukit. I value your opinion. I do keep a close eye on my tanks for aggresion. The only issue I have had in this tank was a green terror that couldnt get along with any of them. I put him in my 140G cichlid tank with a bunch of Mbuna and an oscar and they all get along. I cant explain it. I am currently growing out 2 blue jack dempseys in a 29G and will have to move them into either the 240 or the 140. Dont know which it will be. Also have a ton of fishy friends here in Vegas. If it doesnt work out, I know people that can house just about anything.

BTW, do you have any pics of the Jags? I love those. My LFS has a breeding pair that are beautiful for $100. I have no place to put them though :(

They're all small right now between 2-4in, I have 9 red terror festae, 7 jags, and 5 true trimacs(no flowerhorn so I'm told). True festae are very rare and fry sells for $20 each and pretty much the same for Trimacs, then after a pair bonds I'll sell off the remainders for pretty penny. I've been searching for Festae and Trimacs for years and finally got lucky this year with both.

I have not updated pictures in a long while so I'll try to snap some this weekend.

I tried a pair of EBJD but stock around here is weak and generally so for the fish themselves. Seem to grow half the pace of regular jack with a much more peaceful disposition, so the transition to the large tanks never worked with the other crazies.

Last edited:
I lost one of my EBJD's tonight. Was fine when I fed this morning and dead this afternoon. Dont know if I want to replace now if stock is weak. I think they are such a beautiful fish and not all that common.

Anyone had success with EBJD's in the recent past????

No, but I am considering another run at one. The last one I had lasted 6 weeks and grew 1 inch. No signs of disease. He was in my wife's community tank with peaceful sort at first. Started out at 1 inch.
I have a LFS here that gets them in a couple at a time. 1 to 1.5 inch fry because they fly, err swim off the shelves. They are beautiful but seem to be sensitive. I am researching more and more on them. In all the years I have been keeping cichlids, I have never know any JD to be so delicate. If I get another it will solo in a 10 gal grow out tank for sure.

Anyone had success with EBJD's in the recent past????

The only place I would order more if I were to try again is from Jeff Rapps. I've ordered many times and if you search is name or company I'm can assure you there won't be any negative posts. He has stock from wild caught to tank bred. His EBJD are not always on the list so check frequently.

Tangled Up in Cichlids

Back
Top Bottom