What do you love about your Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so I've decided I want to try an Oscar. I have read a bunch about care, feeding, and tank space. I have a 75 gallon that is currently in a fish less cycle so I have a few weeks.

To the point:

Oscar owners!

1.What is your favorite thing about your Oscar/s?

2. Best advice for a new Oscar owner?

3. Major Do's and Dont's in Oscar care.

And any other comments :) is also love to see pics!

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422394504.801953.jpg

My tank is going to be rescaped to better home the Oscar. IE relocate the driftwood to another tank, more sand. How to they do with live plants?

Caleb

The 75g was my first big tank. I wanted a big fish with a big personality: oscar! The tank was in our living room so as I was cleaning or vacuuming he'd follow me from one end to the other. He'd nudge my hand and play with the Python during WCs. He and the sev both liked being hand fed.

This is my daughter (now 15!!!) feeding the big guys, added a second filter around that time:

img_3145759_0_cde5a724b4d82ec651bd8c6d4216cbda.jpg

And this is Baby just after I got him (still had fake plants at that time):

img_3145759_1_66f5da54aeb8d0356eca331f6e7a306c.jpg

Very nice! :) when you first get them are they shy? Have trouble eating?

Caleb

What do you think about a featherfin catfish with it?

Caleb

What do you think about a featherfin catfish with it?

Caleb

With just the Oscar in a 75 you are looking at 2 50% water changes a week possibly more to keep the nitrates low enough to not develop HLLE.

When you first get him or do water changes and he lays on his side or in a corner don't worry this is just them sulking. They grow really fast expect 1" per month. Water changes, they need lots of water changes or they get Hole in the Head.

When you first get him or do water changes and he lays on his side or in a corner don't worry this is just them sulking. They grow really fast expect 1" per month. Water changes, they need lots of water changes or they get Hole in the Head.

Technically speaking, Hole In The Head (HITH) is a parasitical condition in discus and angelfish. Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE) is a condition developed due to poor diet and/or less than ideal water conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Technically speaking, Hole In The Head (HITH) is a parasitical condition in discus and angelfish. Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE) is a condition developed due to poor diet and/or less than ideal water conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Didnt know that thought they were one in the same. Thanks for the correction.

Back
Top Bottom