What if....? Converting tank to African Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andrew McFadden said:
You haven't seen nothing yet Lol give it a few weeks Lol be ready to have a spare tank on hand cause they breed like crazy

I'm actually looking forward to it at the moment. I'm sure I'll change my mind after a few months. Lol. Apparently the guy gave me 2 female and 1 male yellow lab but then this is the same guy that said a rts was suitable for a 2.5g tank for 6 months :/

I'm actually looking forward to it at the moment. I'm sure I'll change my mind after a few months. Lol. Apparently the guy gave me 2 female and 1 male yellow lab but then this is the same guy that said a rts was suitable for a 2.5g tank for 6 months :/

LOL, You think now now....(changing your mind) You just want to go bigger and more....they are addictive. African Cichlids are so much fun.

I'm already looking for a 55 or 75 gallon for my guys and my tank is only up 4 months.

Mumma.of.two said:
I've been thinking the last few days about changing my 70g/270L planted community to an African cichlid tank. Its a tall and wide tank - 100cm long, 60cm high, 45cm wide if i remember correctly. It has an proaqua (aquatop) canister rated 1500L/h and I will have a spare 1000L/h canister soon that i could use also. Currently it's home to 3 bristlenose plecs and a red tail shark that I could not bear to part with (as well as other various community fish that would be rehomed). If I where to keep them would they be safe in a tank full of cichlids? I have read it will be fine but looking for some personal experiences.
I'm just starting my research now but am wanting suggestions on what types to look at. There are so many!
I'm exploring all my options at the moment so any thoughts or suggestions as to what I should be looking at would be greatly appreciated.

My mild Mbuna killed my Rainbow Shark. I would not risk a Red Tailed shark.

Looks like you are off to a good start.

For breaking up rock if/when you decide to rescape, may I suggest a sledge hammer? I use shale in almost all my cichlids tanks, and with bigger pieces I've never had any of them bring down a wall. I also rest the rock on the tank walls, and other than scratches from the rock, I've never had any issues.

With the mbuna you're going to want to keep an eye on water quality with the peices of driftwood in there. Mbuna like hard/high pH water, and as the wood deteriorates, it will tend to soften and bring the pH down.

Wy Renegade said:
Looks like you are off to a good start.

For breaking up rock if/when you decide to rescape, may I suggest a sledge hammer? I use shale in almost all my cichlids tanks, and with bigger pieces I've never had any of them bring down a wall. I also rest the rock on the tank walls, and other than scratches from the rock, I've never had any issues.

With the mbuna you're going to want to keep an eye on water quality with the peices of driftwood in there. Mbuna like hard/high pH water, and as the wood deteriorates, it will tend to soften and bring the pH down.

I ended up throwing rocks at each other until they split. The neighbors must have thought I'd gone mad. Lol.
I've been told by a few sources that the water around here is pretty hard. I think I've only got lava rock on the glass the rest is just stacked on other bits of rock.
I did test the pH yesterday and it did slip from 7.6 to 7.4 in 5-6 days. I did a water changes an it's back up now. I added some cc to the substrate and some carbon to an internal filter. I didn't leech the wood at all. Probably irresponsible of me but I think I got it under control. :D

Back
Top Bottom