What kind of Cichlids/Oscars Can I keep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rileymc

Aquarium Advice Regular
What kind of Cichlids and Oscars can I keep safely and happily in a 55 gallon community tank?

Thanks!

Is it already stocked with community fish? If so, what species and how many? Not many cichlids go well in a community tank, although I have J. marlieri, L. caudopunctatus, and a couple small, as yet unidentified (I'm sure Tanganyikan) cichlids that I was talked into fostering with loaches, cories, and kilis. If it already has fish in it, I would stay away from oscars, as they're piscivorous and will eat nearly any fish that it can fit into it's mouth. Otherwise, you could do 1 oscar, and a couple smaller-growing plecos, or other smaller-growing catfish. Stay away from common plecos or sailfin plecos, as they can get fairly large. As for cichlids, it depends on what types of cichlids you favor. Cichlids from different areas have different requirements, temperaments, and personalities. Not all cichlids can go together.

Cichlids and oscars in a 55?? Let's edit this post to "what kind of cichlids can I keep in a 55?"
Lots!! Just no oscars.. you want personality or color or both?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cichlids and oscars in a 55?? Let's edit this post to "what kind of cichlids can I keep in a 55?"
Lots!! Just no oscars.. you want personality or color or both?

Yeah, I should probably forget the oscar. As far as cichlids go, I would like a smaller (maybe dwarf) that wouldn't be too aggressive in a 55 gallon community. I am looking for color, yet the ability to get along with many other kinds of fish is more important to me. Rams would work too if that's what I need to do instead.

I just got the 55. I haven't set anything up yet for it so nothing is currently living inside, and I don't have any ideas for stocking a community for it.

I like livebearers, angels, corys, snails, some tetra (not too many though) and some small cichlid/rams that could get along with the rest. Any stocking build suggestions??

The icon in top right corner should be the menu for editing. I you want any shoal ingredients species? Bottom species or just cichlids?

The icon in top right corner should be the menu for editing. I you want any shoal ingredients species? Bottom species or just cichlids?

I would like a good mix.. preferably all level of the tank to be utilized. I do want to have a lot of fish though, not just a few large fish. I am not very picky at all, but would like to keep plenty of different species in the community with cichlids

In a community tank that rules most cichlids out. Rams would be an option, obviously German blue rams, however I'd look at Bolivian rams as well, extremely under appreciated and hardier than their GBR cousins. Apistogramma species would work too, check out apistogramma hongsloi, borelli, cacatuoides.... there are many others apistos as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom