Will my oscar grow into his color?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zacks

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406759513.575773.jpg

He was a rescue from petco ...I think it was, and he had a bad case of ich and fungal issue, I have since nursed him back to health and have had him about 2 months, he's about 3.5-4 inches, he's in with my big gold severum and 6 giant danios. He just looks kind of black in the tank and I was hoping he would regain some color, but he really hasn't... Will he grow and become more vibrant, or was he just in a bad bred batch?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Some fish aren't as pretty as others maybe he will maybe he won't there's really no way to tell

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406764843.678596.jpg
This was him recovering

Adding earthworms to his diet may help. The ones I've kept really stood out on a diet of nightcrawlers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Adding earthworms to his diet may help. The ones I've kept really stood out on a diet of nightcrawlers.

Really? I've never heard that before! I'll have to try it... They're cheap too bought as fishing bait

Perhaps it reintroduces the capturing of live prey, since feeders are somewhat a no no

I think he looks pretty cool actually. Ok, question;
I recently had an EBJD die from a live feeding of shrimp. All of the other fish are fine btw, but EBJD are delicate and pick up internal parasites easy so I've learned the hard way. That's what happened to him anyway.
Are worms from your garden likely to contain anything nasty like the shrimp must have had? I know you have to be careful with pesticides but are they totally safe otherwise?

I think he looks pretty cool actually. Ok, question;
I recently had an EBJD die from a live feeding of shrimp. All of the other fish are fine btw, but EBJD are delicate and pick up internal parasites easy so I've learned the hard way. That's what happened to him anyway.
Are worms from your garden likely to contain anything nasty like the shrimp must have had? I know you have to be careful with pesticides but are they totally safe otherwise?

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to feed them from outside, but you really never know and it's probably better to be safe than sorry

I always bought from a bait shop, until I ordered bulk from a worm farm and raised my own, because I didn't want to risk the chance that they might have come in contact with chemicals.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407559539.448065.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407559568.562003.jpg

So I added a black backround, that's somewhat reflective, and oscars as we know are fairly moody and change colors depending on their moods so anyways I feel this real light tan-ish color is aggression... But yeah started him on night crawlers twice a week and I think they may be improving his color, gillie ;)

Back
Top Bottom