Yellow Lab coloration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've posted this same question a couple months ago, but didn't really get a responce. Today while doing a water change, I noticed that one of my Yellow Labs is getting more black on him. Mainly around the face. It started out just on the side of the body, but now it is kind of like a mustache around his face. What is going on? I have 4 yellow labs, and only 1 is doing this. It is kind of a peppered pattern. Not covering the body, just little specks. I tried getting a pic, but the spots never show up well in pics. Normally they just get blury.

He is in the 150 gal tank and is fed a variety of stuff including: Cichlid Pellets, Cichlid Flake, Brine shrimp flake, Peas, Zuc, Algae wafers (only because he gets to it before the plecos), Frozen Brine Shrimp (treat), Frozen Blood Worms (Treat), Tubiflex worms, and Tropical Flake. Of course this all isn't in the same day. Ammonia and Nitrites = 0, Nitrate = 20, pH = 7.8, and temp = 79.

Can anyone give me some insite on what is going on with this fish?

My male lab has the same thing. I don't know what it is, but he seems healthy. He is constantly attempting to spawn with his girl friend.

He's still maturing. He's about 3 1/2 inches right now, and doesn't have much girth. He seems perfectly healthy. He acts normal, eats normal, swims normally. It just doesn't seem natural from all of the pictures that I see of Yellow Labs being brightly colored and flawless looking. But then mine is brightly colored but with black specks.

Another thing that is kind of bothering me is that my Cobalt's and Acei's coloration isn't the best. They are kind of dull in color. What else could I feed them to help improve coloration? The water quality looks perfect by test results. There is adequate filtration (585 gph). This turns the water over about 4 times per hour. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I use New Life Spectrum cichlid formula for my electric yellow labs and the electrice blues and it seems to really bring out their colors.
HTH

Is that a common food that I can find at most lfs? I'm going tomorrow so I'll definately look for it.

Back
Top Bottom