Yellow Tail Acei?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arget

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found this little one in my Walmart. I thought that it was a female Yellow Tail Acei, but looking at it I'm not so sure.

Attachments

• Acei Maybe 003.jpg
    Acei Maybe 003.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 126
I think you've found a very healthy looking male Yellow Tail Acei. Pretty good find for Walmart.

Okay. I was worried that it wasn't an Acei. At first I thought that it was a female Yellow Tail Acei, but then I saw some pictures of butterfly peacocks, and the fins looked more like those then a Yellow Tail Acei. This my first Mbuna tank, so I'm trying to get everything right. My Walmart is one of the few that has live fish, and one of the tanks is Africans. I normally see Auratus, Kenyi, and other unidentifiable cichlids, so seeing what I thought was a good, beginner Mbuna was a surprise. It took me a bit to decided to take it home, but it was still there, and I only had two out of three planned species in my tank, so I had an open slot.

Grab a few White Tail Aceis if Walmart gets some in. Blue face, purple body, white edging, one of my favorites. One of the few varieties of Mbuna that actually school.

Attachments

• 20181029_161541.jpg
    20181029_161541.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 175
  • 20181029_103557.jpg
    20181029_103557.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 70
Not sure if I want to mix Acei types. Don't want them to crossbreed. My Walmart doesn't always get fish in, it's not very common, and the fish can sit in the tanks for a while. In the Mixed Africans tank I usually see things like Kenyi, Auratus, and other unknown cichlids. The Yellow Tail Acei is the only one that I've ever seen their, and it still needs some feeding up to look healthy. The last time that I checked, the one Auratus that they had was looking pretty dark, so a dominate male Auratus is a fairly small tank, filled with Kenyi and other unknown cichlids. They also don't take the best care of the fish there, though they've been doing better recently. I prefer to get my fish from my LFS, they take much better care of them. The reason why I got the Acei was because it was the only one there, Walmart is a much closer then my LFS, and the prices for the fish are better. It also came home because I've never seen an Acei in Walmart, and when I put my finger on the glass to point it out, it became excited and begged to come home with me. My Mbuna are way smarter then my Comets were, and my Comets had a pretty good memory.

I've got one Yellow Tail Acei and three White Tails. I think they are all males. Not too worried about cross breeding in my tank. I'm sure most would be eaten by the tankmates. IMO, Cichlids are pretty smart. Your Acei was a nice pick up.

I was very lucky, but he needs a lot TLC, he looks like he didn't get enough to eat.

Back
Top Bottom