10 gallon advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's what I've heard how long did you put it in for? My lfs said they would give me already cycled water from one of there tanks the guy said he would do a water change for me then he said to put a fish in to help the cycle I told him that's to expensive to possibly lose the fish then he said do the cycle with snails or a crab or something then I said I wanna do a fish less cycle he advised against using chemicals. Seems like a good guy I asked if I'd need a power head or heater he said my hob should be fine so if he's not trying to sell me extra stuff and take my money he must be trying to help i would think

That's what I've heard how long did you put it in for? My lfs said they would give me already cycled water from one of there tanks the guy said he would do a water change for me then he said to put a fish in to help the cycle I told him that's to expensive to possibly lose the fish then he said do the cycle with snails or a crab or something then I said I wanna do a fish less cycle he advised against using chemicals. Seems like a good guy I asked if I'd need a power head or heater he said my hob should be fine so if he's not trying to sell me extra stuff and take my money he must be trying to help i would think

Well it's all up to you! Water from a cycled tank means nothing! The beneficial bacteria is on the live rock, live sand and maybe rubble from the filter media. so the water does not matter what so ever! Also, if you don't want a power head you don't have to get it! I think a powerhead only adds to a tank and helps coral and the tank in general, but it's all personal preference!

Leave the shrimp in till ammonia reads about 4! So about 3-4 days!

But remember, the water from a cycled tank does not mean anything and will not help the cycle!

Well it's all up to you! Water from a cycled tank means nothing! The beneficial bacteria is on the live rock, live sand and maybe rubble from the filter media. so the water does not matter what so ever! Also, if you don't want a power head you don't have to get it! I think a powerhead only adds to a tank and helps coral and the tank in general, but it's all personal preference!

Leave the shrimp in till ammonia reads about 4! So about 3-4 days!

But remember, the water from a cycled tank does not mean anything and will not help the cycle!

Alright thanks so put the shrimp in the first four days?

Alright thanks so put the shrimp in the first four days?

Put it in and test for everything daily! Your ammonia should go up and then you should start to see some nitrates as well! Just keep testing and when you get that ammonia spike you can take it out!

Also, I was advised on my thread not to put anything in till tank is cycled! If you put in a cleanup crew now, they will have nothing to clean up!

Well explain the ammonia spike to me please i want it to go up and then down again or what?

Have "patience" and you will have better success. Leave it till around 4 weeks and the cycle should be done. Get a testing kit and test every 2 days until you see a drop from your ammonia spike.
DO NOT put any fish in until then.
Cycled water won't make any difference at all. Just buy salt water from your LFS and RO water to top up if it evaporates .
I've just put fish in today after 4 weeks. Take a look at my threads and see how I've built it up slowly . Good luck with your build

So I put the shrimp in four days my ammonia goes up which I want then I take it out and I want it to go down sorry I just don't dont understand and I want to and wanna get it right

So I put the shrimp in four days my ammonia goes up which I want then I take it out and I want it to go down sorry I just don't dont understand and I want to and wanna get it right

Put the shrimp in and sink it with a rock! Test daily or every other day! After a few days to a week you will see the ammonia spike, as in go up off the charts! This is when you take the shrimp out. Then your ammonia will slowly decrease to 0. Then nitrates do the same, spike and fall, and then nitrites. And when everything spikes and falls to 0, the cycle is done

Put the shrimp in and sink it with a rock! Test daily or every other day! After a few days to a week you will see the ammonia spike, as in go up off the charts! This is when you take the shrimp out. Then your ammonia will slowly decrease to 0. Then nitrates do the same, spike and fall, and then nitrites. And when everything spikes and falls to 0, the cycle is done

Ok now it makes since to me thanks. And of water evaporates I should get like water you can drink cause you replace it with freshwater right?

Well r/o isn't just your basic tap water or freshwater. It's been filtered very thoroughly. If you get normal tap water you will get crazy bad algae! Ro water is sold a lfs usually! Like... .30$ a gallon?

Can't I just get like the gallon drinking waters at Walmart?

Trust me, I tried and i got a lot Of algae! If you have no access to ro water, I would buy distilled water from the store! The 1 gallon things of it! But it adds up eventually!

I invested in two 5 gallon jugs and I get them filled every 2-3 weeks at my lfs. Or you can buy an r/o unit for your house! But that's 150$+

So during the cycle you put in the raw shrimp it builds up ammonia then the nitrates and nitrites go up which you want then they go down to hopefully zeros and that's what you want and the cycles done

Back
Top Bottom