10g Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brilliant_Barbs_21

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone!

So I have started my 10 gallon reef tank, all cycled and ready for whatever I want. I have lots of questions though. First of all, any aquascaping suggestions? The picture is below. Okay, next, my cleanup crew. Right now I have a skunk shrimp, a zebra hermit crab, a few other hermit crabs, two giant turbo snails, and one nassarius snail. Is that good? If not, what else should I get? Also, any fish stocking suggestions? I really want a clownfish, because of its beauty. But I know that would really by cutting it close. If I get one clown, could I get any other fish? Next, my filter and such. Right now I have one HOB filter, and one sponge filter. Will I need more flow and water movement for corals? And finally, am I on the right rack right now? Is everything looking good? Thanks so much! :)
-Kyle

image-2398104151.jpg

I know people will disagree, but I kept a clownfish and a damselfish together happily in a 10 gallon for quite some time.

I'm in the process of setting up a ten gallon reef right now. I'm getting the sand, rock, lights, etc right now. I'm going to use a hob filter and a power head. I have 2 power heads but I think I'll stick with one.

:eek: Don't put wood in sw tanks. Looks like more rock would help (small rocks) to make caves,arches etc.

:eek: Don't put wood in sw tanks. Looks like more rock would help (small rocks) to make caves,arches etc.

I personally don't have wood in my tank but just curious of why not in a salt tank?? And how do you secure the LR together, I don't trust just stacking them and I'm sure no one else does either!?

I had a three stripe damsel and an false percula clown.

Hi everyone!

So I have started my 10 gallon reef tank, all cycled and ready for whatever I want. I have lots of questions though. First of all, any aquascaping suggestions? The picture is below. Okay, next, my cleanup crew. Right now I have a skunk shrimp, a zebra hermit crab, a few other hermit crabs, two giant turbo snails, and one nassarius snail. Is that good? If not, what else should I get? Also, any fish stocking suggestions? I really want a clownfish, because of its beauty. But I know that would really by cutting it close. If I get one clown, could I get any other fish? Next, my filter and such. Right now I have one HOB filter, and one sponge filter. Will I need more flow and water movement for corals? And finally, am I on the right rack right now? Is everything looking good? Thanks so much! :)
-Kyle

Hey, great see more people getting into the salty side of aquariums. I would add more rock and take the wood out. Wood can lech nutrients and cause major algae blooms. For corals I suggest buying a power head, they need lots if water movement. Please stay away from dameles they can be really aggressive. Look at a fire fish and a yasha or high fined goby. Pair it up with a pistol shrimp and it would be awesome. What light did you order and how many watts? Coral are decliate creatures and need plenty of light and flow. What filter are you using hob, or canister? Take the sponge out, those work best for FW

Here's a pic of I my 25 for scraping help it might give you an idea

Attachments

• image-191095103.jpg
    image-191095103.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 374
I personally don't have wood in my tank but just curious of why not in a salt tank?? And how do you secure the LR together, I don't trust just stacking them and I'm sure no one else does either!?

Ah sorry. The piece on the left looks like wood. Guess it's just a dark rock. Think it can deteriorate and add phosphates, but not entirely sure. It's not natural in a reef setting for sure.

Ah sorry. The piece on the left looks like wood. Guess it's just a dark rock. Think it can deteriorate and add phosphates, but not entirely sure. It's not natural in a reef setting for sure.

D yeah it will break down an add unnecessary nutrients and cause algae bloom

I would just to be safe. I would also add more rock

Okay. I took the wood out and I'm letting everything settle for a while. I will go out to the store and buy some more live rock today, and post a picture later tonight. Thanks everyone! The cleaner shrimp also died. Could that have been something related to the wood? I can keep every invertebrate except shrimp!

Okay. I took the wood out and I'm letting everything settle for a while. I will go out to the store and buy some more live rock today, and post a picture later tonight. Thanks everyone! The cleaner shrimp also died. Could that have been something related to the wood? I can keep every invertebrate except shrimp!

Could have been something leached into the tank by the wood. And shrimp are very fragile with water parms. Can't wait to see pics

So here it is with the new live rock. I also took out the sponge filter and added a powerhead. The glass canopy and lights are still not here yet. Ugh! Tomorrow I'm heading back to get more snails and a new shrimp if everything is all set. Also, there are small white globs in cracks on my love rock. Does anybody have any idea what those are?

Attachments

• image-1035692803.jpg
    image-1035692803.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 227
  • image-1023812713.jpg
    image-1023812713.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 229
Back
Top Bottom