15gal tall questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I just set up my 15gal tall, it's cycling now, with florida live rock and sand. I have a few questions:

1) What are my options for fish? I'd like to do a goby/shrimp pair, but i'd also like something in the water column.
2) I was thinking about zoas and mushrooms. Will either of these attack one another?
3) My live rock came with some awesome looking coral and a couple of sea squirts. Will the cycle harm them?
4) How do I actually take care of sea squirts?

Well, in a 15g you're kinda limited as far as fish as you probably know already. It's also a tall tank so you have less sandbed "real estate" which makes it even harder. LOL
I like the goby and shrimp pair, sounds like a good idea for that tank. If the tank is covered how about a firefish? When they arent hiding they are swimming and floating mid water level, at least in my tank. lol

ZOoas and mushrooms should be fine together, I wouldn't put them on top of one another though. ;-)

What came in on your live rock may survive it's hit or miss. Kinda depends on your ammonia levels and how high they get if the hitchhikers can make it through. And for sea squirts, well, I have NO idea. LOL Sorry....

thanks Carey, I was thinking about a firefish. I know the tank would be the perfect footprint for seahorses, but they're so expensive, except for the dwarves. The sea squirts are pretty cool, they look like giant raisins.

There is good news if your rock already has a lot of life on it the cycle will be short because chances are all the bacteria didn't die during transport. I have had rock that was taken out of a tank and left in water for a few weeks mine had several different corals on it and none died. The bacteria didn't get a chance to die off so the cycle was only about a week. You do need to test your water. I also tested the sg in the water the rock was transported in and my water in the tank there was no difference.

I love my goby and pistol shrimp they are very entertaining/

I have a 12 gal. I fell like so long as ur water levels r good u could have 2 to 3 small fish. My lfs store just advised me not to go too big. I ended up w a one inch huma huma trigger and a three inch Niger trigger. I love them. They totally attack frozen cubed shrimp, and can be real predators. They dont pick on each other, each have their own sleeping hole and can swim plenty. I am aware that they very well might outgrow my tank but iplan on them being totally healthy so I will trade them back to the store I will get a credit. Get whatever fish make u happy, just know how to keep them happy

12galedge82 said:
I have a 12 gal. I fell like so long as ur water levels r good u could have 2 to 3 small fish. My lfs store just advised me not to go too big. I ended up w a one inch huma huma trigger and a three inch Niger trigger. I love them. They totally attack frozen cubed shrimp, and can be real predators. They dont pick on each other, each have their own sleeping hole and can swim plenty. I am aware that they very well might outgrow my tank but iplan on them being totally healthy so I will trade them back to the store I will get a credit. Get whatever fish make u happy, just know how to keep them happy

U have a niger trigger and a humu in a 12 gal??? I had a humu in a 55 and he was 3" long and he was unhappy. He almost died cause he kept swimming too fast and hitting the tank. Imo 125+ for both. They may be small now but they will soon outgrow ur tank or could die. I'm definitely not trying to be a jerk, as i have had numerous dreams smashed into tiny little pieces. Lol its hard to judge how "happy" a fish is as we dont speak fish. One could argue that taking a fish out of the ocean and putting it in a 300 gal tank is just as bad as a 100 and i agree but no one follows the "rules" to fish keeping. Good luck with everything!

And if ur lfs said not to go big but sold u those to put in a 12 gal they probably arent in it for the fishs health but more for the money... just sayin.

Back
Top Bottom