29gl new build tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My temp is up to 86 and all my corals are closed any tips to keeping the water temp down in this hot weather??

A fan blowing air across the surface can lower it, just watch as evaporation will increase. Also a chiller with controller, but that gets pricey. I've never tried it but I have heard of people using sealed ice in the sump. Gotta exercise caution with that one too. Main thing is watch for increase and decrease of temperature slowly, rapid changes is what will be the most detrimental.

Ok here is an idea for a homemade chiller...

Small fridge (like for an office or den for drinks) placed next to your tank. Have a small pump that will circulate water through airline tubing and back into your tank. These don't get really cold and your can control the temperature of the water by adding more length of tubing that is inside the fridge, just coil it and put it on the shelf. The more tubing in the fridge the more the water will cool.

Of course you can keep drinks or tank additives that require cooling in as well!

It's ok temp has cooled down now but still got dirty sand that I can't seem to keep clean :(

Yeah. Seems to be a bit of a problem with me too. What I did that I've already really noticed a difference is got a handful of nassarius snails along with 3 jumbo chestnut nassarius snails. Seems to keep my sand more mixed up and looks cleaner. :)

Updated pics, new sunflower coral and the bright green one that i have already forgotten the name of!!

Any tips for the sunflower???

image-2840146836.jpg

image-4287108948.jpg

With the sun coral be careful its not in the reach of your hammers sweeper tentacles, got knocked off the rock work in the night and fell on my cataphyllia every head that touched the cat died.
Luckily before this and now it's thriving its actually started to grow new heads in the bases of some of the old dead skeleton.
As far as care goes feed it every couple of days with brine shrimp and keep it shaded they don't like lots of light. I also feed mine D&D lps reef paste a couple of times a week.
Here it is before its fall.

ForumRunner_20120930_222820.jpg

And here to it is now recovering well. :)

ForumRunner_20120930_222939.jpg

ForumRunner_20120930_223009.jpg

ForumRunner_20120930_223030.jpg

As for your other coral believe it may be a schollymea but please don't quote me lol.

Sun corals are usually found in the wild in shady places, even caves. I put mine under a rock overhang, not directly in light. You can also fed it mysis. Feed each head every 2-3 days. But you gotta make sure each head eats, cuz they're all separate, they don't share nutrition.

If u put it under the arch that I have how is best to feed, I have frozen brine to dissolve in the tank water and was using a cut off pop bottle but would not be able to under the rock?

The heads have to be out. It took some time, but I've trained mine to come out at around 6-7P now. Otherwise, they come out after lights out. Spray some of the liquid from the food over the heads and wait a little bit. The heads should (hopefully) come out when it cat he's he scent. Do this every time about the same time and after few weeks, should start coming out on its own earlier.

Back
Top Bottom