29gl new build tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boolay1978 said:
Are the mandarin hard to keep?

Mandarins are normally classified as difficult because they have a specialized diet. In the wild, Mandarins mainly eat pods, which are little creatures that live in live rock. In an aquaria, a tank needs to be established for a while, six months to a year with pods, before the tank is possibly ready for a Mandarin.

There is a company located in Florida called ORA which breeds these fish. The fish that come form these facilities are supposed to be trained to eat prepared foods, but that isn't always the case. Even if the fish is eating prepared at first, it can revert back to its natural food source at any time.

I hope this helps!

I want a mandarin dragonette so bad! How do you even get copepods to feed them!!

Awesome! Thank you so much! Can I just add them to my tank? I really don't have a refugium as I have a biocube...

Cool thanks. How does that work? I have bio balls in there now. What do the pods do in a rack like that?

I removed the bioballs and added the filter media rack and the fuge rack with a light. You add chaeto and pods and the pods have a home to grow and procreate. :) Not a 100% solution to keeping a mandarin successfully but a good step in the right direction. :)

Lol....so what if I want to keep my cube stock? I'm not ready to mod it. I'm too new at this. I appreciate all your help. Can I use my 3 gallon eclipse as a refugium of sorts? It has a FFconch, a yellow watchman goby and a royal gramma plus a few crabs, but most can be relocated.

The pods will just circulate through the tank and filtration through the water pump. :) It's not really a hard mod, just remove everything from the middle chamber and go from there.

I tried to make a "pod" tank for my scooter to eat from but it wasn't very successful. I had it set up for a few months too and it never produced enough pods for a dragonette to eat. :-(

Are there any tang or butterfly fish I could put in a 29gl if I got them small. Just desperate to get some thing that really stands out in there.

Back
Top Bottom