3 gal picotope (build thread!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My iodine was low (it was at nearly 0 when my LFS tested it 2 weeks ago), which I learned probably killed the shrimp after molting. The other factor in my poor shrimp's death was probably nitrate (which is now completely under control.)

Another thing I learned that may or may not be true is that iodine is a good supplement for soft corals (it seems like it was used up pretty quick too.)

I would think if your salt mix is reef grade it would have iodine.

The salt box says it has iodine (I'm using reef crystals), but maybe it was depleted (I'm no expert on supplements, but from what I know iodine can be used up pretty fast.)

What do you think could have caused the iodine to get so low? I'm 99% sure my salt water mixes have enough iodine to start with, however I don't usually mix my own water. I usually just use bag water from my LFS, which should have enough iodine considering it is what the livestock there lives in.

The salt box says it has iodine (I'm using reef crystals), but maybe it was depleted (I'm no expert on supplements, but from what I know iodine can be used up pretty fast.)

What do you think could have caused the iodine to get so low? I'm 99% sure my salt water mixes have enough iodine to start with, however I don't usually mix my own water. I usually just use bag water from my LFS, which should have enough iodine considering it is what the livestock there lives in.

I use reef crystals aswell, and my iodine stays fine. I have no clue.

So before i order my corals from happy coral.com, could you tell me how yours are doing? Also how long did it take to ship? Did they drop them at your house? Sorry for the questions lol, just wanna check. And finally, whats your review on them on a 1-10 scale? Thanks.

So before i order my corals from happy coral.com, could you tell me how yours are doing? Also how long did it take to ship? Did they drop them at your house? Sorry for the questions lol, just wanna check. And finally, whats your review on them on a 1-10 scale? Thanks.

Happy to help! 5/6 of the frags are doing great, and opened opened up most of he way within a couple hours. 1 of them is still closed up, and it looks like it had a bit of detritus in the bag.

For your other q's, they shipped by UPS ground (because I'm in Illinois) and left it at the front door. I asked and they said their packages packages have a 40 hour guarantee! So when UPS dropped it off I wasn't home, but when I got home and opened it the box was still at 75. Btw, they shipped with really good insulating foam, the necessary heat packs, and individually well-sealed bags. Also, they contacted me to figure what time would be best for me to receive it based on my schedule, and it worked out great :). Sorry to write so much lol, just trying to give as much info as possible.

Overall, I'd probably give them a high 8/10. Good luck!

Happy to help! 5/6 of the frags are doing great, and opened opened up most of he way within a couple hours. 1 of them is still closed up, and it looks like it had a bit of detritus in the bag.

For your other q's, they shipped by UPS ground (because I'm in Illinois) and left it at the front door. I asked and they said their packages packages have a 40 hour guarantee! So when UPS dropped it off I wasn't home, but when I got home and opened it the box was still at 75. Btw, they shipped with really good insulating foam, the necessary heat packs, and individually well-sealed bags. Also, they contacted me to figure what time would be best for me to receive it based on my schedule, and it worked out great :). Sorry to write so much lol, just trying to give as much info as possible.

Overall, I'd probably give them a high 8/10. Good luck!

Lol, i want all the writing! More righting means more reviewing! Alright sounds good, i guess i will be ordering from them in a day or two. One of my old lfs moved and is now reopened so maybe they will have some zoas! Going there tommarow.

Lol, i went to the new store and it has 1 105g rimless with 2 anemones and a solarensis wrasse... Then ten 10g tanks and a 40b sump. The 10gs are all empty lol. Never driving out there again (30min drive for that crap!)

Lol, i went to the new store and it has 1 105g rimless with 2 anemones and a solarensis wrasse... Then ten 10g tanks and a 40b sump. The 10gs are all empty lol. Never driving out there again (30min drive for that crap!)

Lol I wonder if they'll add anything in the future.

I got a peppermint shrimp today, and he just finished acclimating. He seems kind of stressed though -- all he does is circle the tank. The other thing is that he sometimes messes with the fish... Do you think the situation will improve as everyone gets used to each other?

Also, I know this is normal, but I hope that the peppermint shrimp will not bother the coral too much. The coral should be ok with the occasional brush of the shrimp, right?

Lol, i want all the writing! More righting means more reviewing! Alright sounds good, i guess i will be ordering from them in a day or two. One of my old lfs moved and is now reopened so maybe they will have some zoas! Going there tommarow.

Can't wait to see your tank with new corals :)

Btw, does your goby ever kind of zone out, so even when you touch him he doesn't move? Mine does that sometimes, but always "snaps out of it" after a couple seconds.

How long have you had this tank going and how long did you wait to put coral in

Thanks for asking! The tank has been running for about a month and a half, and I added the first coral, a big zoa colony, after about two and a half weeks.

Are you thinking of starting a tank?

I already have one started it's been going for about 3 weeks I'm just waiting till I can get a new good and the right lighting. I have a thread going in the getting started section

I already have one started it's been going for about 3 weeks I'm just waiting till I can get a new good and the right lighting. I have a thread going in the getting started section

Cool! I checked out the thread.

Back
Top Bottom