6 gal nano reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Salt creep comes from water breaking in the tank. It is something you want to avoid as it will lower salinity in the water and if that salt falls into the water can burn fish gills.
It looks like it is coming from how much turbulence you have going on from your power heads. I'd see if you could adjust them.

Salt creep comes from water breaking in the tank. It is something you want to avoid as it will lower salinity in the water and if that salt falls into the water can burn fish gills.
It looks like it is coming from how much turbulence you have going on from your power heads. I'd see if you could adjust them.

oh i haven't had any salt creep issues with this tank, just one tank in the past. i will adjust the powerheads to avoid that though, thank you!

update

Hello everyone! been a while since and update and a lot has happened! i have a friend who was breaking down their own reef tank so i acquired quite a few frags from them. The tank has finished its cycle and water parameters have been spot on.
In the tank now:
frog spawn
musrooms
very small hammer coral
sunset coral
leather

All corals are doing well and my fluvalsea light is on its way! it will pump out 25,000 instead of the 7,000 k i am working with now.

I also got my fish! (the only fish that will be in the tank obviously) he was kept by himself in a 7 gal reef tank in my lfs because he apparently does NOT like other fish lol which is fine :) so here are new pictures! and an introductory photo of solomon ( clown fish)

Attachments

• 10308393_649436598521397_7722557599869475938_n.jpg
    10308393_649436598521397_7722557599869475938_n.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 122
  • 10407038_649436535188070_7866952228059956823_n.jpg
    10407038_649436535188070_7866952228059956823_n.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 10944851_649436761854714_6542750355296828832_n.jpg
    10944851_649436761854714_6542750355296828832_n.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 11080884_649436808521376_1152321380789438282_n.jpg
    11080884_649436808521376_1152321380789438282_n.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 123
Very nice! I've been very tempted to add a clown to my 5 gal. Do you have an auto top off for your tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello everyone! been a while since and update and a lot has happened! i have a friend who was breaking down their own reef tank so i acquired quite a few frags from them. The tank has finished its cycle and water parameters have been spot on.

In the tank now:

frog spawn

musrooms

very small hammer coral

sunset coral

leather

All corals are doing well and my fluvalsea light is on its way! it will pump out 25,000 instead of the 7,000 k i am working with now.

I also got my fish! (the only fish that will be in the tank obviously) he was kept by himself in a 7 gal reef tank in my lfs because he apparently does NOT like other fish lol which is fine :) so here are new pictures! and an introductory photo of solomon ( clown fish)

The k rating of a light is a measurement of its temperature (the color it puts out basically, 10k is real yellow and the 20k end of the spectrum is bluer) and not a measure of its power. The fluval light is actually pretty weak, and more of a 12k look, and will limit you to softies and some low light lps. Also clowns get pretty big for a 6g tank. Nice pick ups with the corals though :)

In the tank now:

frog spawn

musrooms

very small hammer coral

sunset coral

leather

He doesn't like other fish cause he needs a tank big enough for him to establish territory and swim a bit. Otherwise nice tank

Very nice! I've been very tempted to add a clown to my 5 gal. Do you have an auto top off for your tank?

no i don't i do it by hand, i also test the water every other day, so i like to keep up with it. solomon is very happy in his tank. he has always been kept in small tank alone and this one actually gives him quite a but of swimming room.

The k rating of a light is a measurement of its temperature (the color it puts out basically, 10k is real yellow and the 20k end of the spectrum is bluer) and not a measure of its power. The fluval light is actually pretty weak, and more of a 12k look, and will limit you to softies and some low light lps. Also clowns get pretty big for a 6g tank. Nice pick ups with the corals though :)

from what i was reading online anemones need at least 10,000k knowing mine is much smaller i jut went for the smallest light with the biggest output. solomon is already full grown and as i said before has always been kept along because he's extremely aggressive. the lfs i got him from has had him for a year in one of those 3 gallon display tanks alone with a piece of live rock. so for now he is much happier but he will eventually be moved into the biocube is moral improves.:)

still not enough light... really you need some intesne lighting for a nem no matter what. if you dont provide its necessities itll surely pass and nuke the tank. agree with bigred 100%

He doesn't like other fish cause he needs a tank big enough for him to establish territory and swim a bit. Otherwise nice tank

well he was in a 75 gallon tank with only a few other fish who were much larger than him. he had an anemone and everything and apparently would do nothing but relentlessly chase and try and kill everything which is why the owner gave him up to the lfs, and the lfs tried to introduce him to a new tank only to find the same thing. so here he is now.

still not enough light... really you need some intesne lighting for a nem no matter what. if you dont provide its necessities itll surely pass and nuke the tank. agree with bigred 100%

oh no i am not planning on getting a nem, i was just reading the specks on how strong of lighting i needed. is the fluval sea not strong enough for the corals i have? if they are doing fine with this weaker light I'm confused why the stronger light is no good?
thanks for the help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
honestly, the k of the lighting is just going to be colour for the most part, you wanna shoot for 15000-20000 K. otherwise, look at recommendations, the fluval lights arent good and will sustain softies and low light lps.

i would invest in a par 38 or that wave light people have been having sucess with. what do you really want to do with this tank.

honestly, the k of the lighting is just going to be colour for the most part, you wanna shoot for 15000-20000 K. otherwise, look at recommendations, the fluval lights arent good and will sustain softies and low light lps.

i would invest in a par 38 or that wave light people have been having sucess with. what do you really want to do with this tank.

the fluvial sea is 25,000k so are you saying thats too much? or...? I'm sorry I'm lost. my corals seem to be doing great with the cheap fluvial light I'm using now. and i won't be keeping anything other than soft corals.

K stands for kelvin, which is a measure of color temperature and has absolutely nothing to do with the power of the light. The fluval lights use .24w LEDs where as quality units use 3w LEDs, for softies you'll be fine but the colors will be a little washed out (the light puts out a pretty white/yellow color in the 10-12k range)

K stands for kelvin, which is a measure of color temperature and has absolutely nothing to do with the power of the light. The fluval lights use .24w LEDs where as quality units use 3w LEDs, for softies you'll be fine but the colors will be a little washed out (the light puts out a pretty white/yellow color in the 10-12k range)

thank you

Back
Top Bottom