Algae help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miketeachme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my 24 gallon nano cube set up for over a month. I have live rock and sand. I have 4 Damsels 2 snails and a chocolate chip starfish. The algae has become so bad I have to clean it twice daily. Is this normal? What can I do to keep algae under control?

image-3522914492.jpg

IMO you are overstocked. You have fish that are big eaters and produce a lot of waste. That waste then helps algae grow. I would rehome the damsels and stick with fish more appropriate for your tank size and then make sure to do weekly water changes.

Another cause would be old bulbs depending if you purchased this tank new or used. If they are new- did you cycle this tank before adding fish? How? Are you using RODI water? Or purified water? Or tap water?

To begin with you can check your water parameters, and do lights out for 3 days to help deter growth. When you do water changes syphin out all the algae that you can making sure not to let any of it float around in the water to settle again.

I dunno about being overstocked... 4 damsels in a 24 gallon? I think it's something else. Overfeeding, not doing water changes, using tap water, etc... Or a combination of all the above. What's your feeding schedule, how often are you changing water, do you use tap water for topoffs and changes?

Back
Top Bottom