Algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

penguinsix

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had algae problems in my 2.5 gallon nano since I set it up back in early December. I had hair algae up until a month ago when I switched to distilled water. Now there is a green film algae that won't go away. Also there is always a ton of bubbles attached to everything, could the algae cause this or is it my power head that is screwed up? Here is a pic where you can see how bad it is. Sorry it is so bad my camera sucks.

Attachments

• img00001.jpg
    img00001.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 116
Sorry to give you the bad news, but you have cynobacteria. It is commonly known as Red-Slime Algae, but dont let the name fool you it can be brown, green and blackish in color. Distilled water is no good, only use RO water. If you do not know where to get it, ask your local fish store or just buy a RO filter (they can be as low as $100). There is another thread just started on Red-slime algae in the identification area. Join us there!

P.S. You need to get in there and pull as much as you can out ASAP! It will just keep getting worse until it kills everything in the tank if you dont.

jploman- What is the problem with distilled water? I have been using it for awhile now with no problems. I checked the water after salting and mixing and have perfect results for amm, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate. I know that Distilled water was commonly produced using copper tubing but have found that this method has been outdated. What other problems can the distilled water have?

Have you tested your water for phosphates and nitrate? If so, what were the results? If it's green film algae, you could try some snails. I didn't see any in your sig. And if it is cyano, perhaps try adding more flow to the tank. Also, how old are your bulbs? Were they new when you set the tank up in Dec? Sometimes old bulbs can cause algae blooms. Good luck.

I have been told by many people that distilled water still contains elements that are undesireable in sw tanks. We used distilled water for a while, then bam we had an algae outbreak. When we tested the distilled water there were a few different problems, I just cant remember what all they were. We have since switched to RO and have had less problems.

Please try to remember about the problems with the distilled. I have been using it with no ill affects on my fish/coral. You said you used it for some time and then had a problem. How long did you use it? What was the problem causing the algae? Was it phosphates? I have heard many suggest distilled and no one condemn it so I am very interested. TIA

Back
Top Bottom