Biocube 29 help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marktheshark

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm new to saltwater and thought I would start with a nano tank. I decided on the Biocube 29. I have been doing research and have a basic idea on what I need, but want your guys input. So what equipment would you recommend on buying a long with the tank, what kind of test kits do you recommend, and how much live rock will I need?

Hi, I'm currently working at getting my biocube 29 ready for my first saltwater. I know you'll want 1-2lbs of rock per gallon, I plan on about 30lbs for mine tho. I'm planning on upgrading my fans to twin BBs. Making media rack for second chamber and ditching the bioballs, and a skimmer for first chamber. As for test kit I'll have a FOWLR so a basic API will work for me.

Do you have the HQI or standard assuming it's an oceanic? Is it brand new or has it been used?

Do you have the HQI or standard assuming it's an oceanic? Is it brand new or has it been used?

I've decided on the regular biocube but have not bought it yet. I want to buy everything at the sometime so I don't have parts of the system laying around. And I'm looking to do. Reef tank so what test kits would be good for that?

This may help, a skimmer in a BC29 is a waste IMO and tested exprience, save your money plus the oceanic one is better used as a paper weight IMO. check this thread out.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f101/the-bio-cube-29-information-thread-221710.html

Wow! Good article. Alot of trials and experience gained I see. I do W/Cs biweekly on other tanks and was wondering if I'm doing 5gal changes 1/2 as much as you if a skimmer would be beneficial? I have stock lighting on an oceanic but only plan on FOWLR for (quite awhile) only thing that scares me is internal temp even tho I plan on putting on aftermarket fans. I know there quieter but I have heard even PC fans dropped temp in ppls tanks. I'm not sure if they are just a higher RPM or bearings create less friction resulting in higher RPMs or if there quieter and there really is no difference? Anyhow, thanks for your help!

I've decided on the regular biocube but have not bought it yet. I want to buy everything at the sometime so I don't have parts of the system laying around. And I'm looking to do. Reef tank so what test kits would be good for that?

Cool, convict can probably be of more help with the kit. I think red sea makes a pretty good reef test kit if I'm not mistaken.

Cool, convict can probably be of more help with the kit. I think red sea makes a pretty good reef test kit if I'm not mistaken.

I think so to but I just want other people's opinions! I want to do everything right from the start.

Convict and I disagree about the skimmer. Do you NEED it? Probably not, but I keep a heavy bioload and I am running the Hydor slim skim nano in chamber 1. I am now emptying the cup every 3-4 days.

Disagreeing is healthy sometimes now if I can get my wife to understand that lol but then again I guess that's a disagreement also :)

Anyway.... I think with adequate weekly maintenance and water changes a skimmer is not going to do much. I also have a heavy stock

2 clowns
2 cardinals
1 six line
1 hawk fish
1 orange spotted goby
1 pistol shrimp
2 cleaner shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
1 blood shrimp
1 harlequin shrimp

Assortment of snails and hermits...

I've ran it with and without. Regardless of what the cup has in it the parameters were always on the money. I account this to 5 gallon weekly water changes and changing the poly fill 2x's a week.

Back
Top Bottom