Diatom Bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NicoC16

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had a diatom bloom in my tank now for several days and all of my live rock is covered in brown. My sand is also turning the same color. I was wondering if there is any way to end this or if it is just a phase that my tank is going through. What's next after this bloom that I should look out for?

Diatoms will eventually go away on its own. Some tanks they are gone in a few days and others take longer. Dont worry it will clear up before you know it.

Yes its just a phase. To the best of my knowledge, it means your tank is on the right track

It is a phase and should go away only if your not adding fuel to feed the diatoms. do you have filters do you clean the filters regularly? Are you using ro/di or tap water? Do you over feed? also what are your water readings I know when I had diatoms my nitrates were at 20 ppm and diatom bloom slowed when nitrate readings went to 0 but for some reason I would get a diatom bloom after my 10 percent weekly water changes so I changed my water changes to 10 percent every other week with good results.. Oh and the next problem after diatoms will prolly be hair algae...lol

If im not mistaken diatoms feed off of silicates. Once the silicates are gone the diatoms die off.

Back
Top Bottom