Dwarf Seahorse Build: Opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TraumaDaumaReefs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
image-1243422654.jpg

This is my marine land 6 gallon pillar, the soon to be dwarf seahorse tank, opinions. The tank is cycling but can I add plants now, ammonia is at like 4ppm I didn't even wanna bother with the other stuff.

They are the hardest species to keep alive, even for experts. Do you have any experience with saltwater tanks?

Well seahorses in general are very picky and slow feeders and usually don't make it if they are you don't buy them trained to eat frozen food, or you immediately start trying to slowly introduce frozen foods in their diet. I would recommend starting with some inverts and growing macroalgae and getting a solid population of pods and have ideal parameters before considering seahorses. Also, RESEARCH, can't emphasize how important it is especially when trying to keep such a delicate creature. Not saying it can't be done, but it does require work and patience like most things in life :D

Well seahorses in general are very picky and slow feeders and usually don't make it if they are you don't buy them trained to eat frozen food, or you immediately start trying to slowly introduce frozen foods in their diet. I would recommend starting with some inverts and growing macroalgae and getting a solid population of pods and have ideal parameters before considering seahorses. Also, RESEARCH, can't emphasize how important it is especially when trying to keep such a delicate creature. Not saying it can't be done, but it does require work and patience like most things in life :D

+1 people really don't understand how difficult it is to get things like seahorses and mandarins to eat frozen. Lots of people don't really get how difficult it is to do this. You have to spend tons of money on live pods to feed them and mix frozen food in with it. And this doesn't take lke 3 days this could take a month or more. Took me over a month to get my marine betta to except frozen food instead of live food. And they are easy because you can get them really fat on live food and then starve them in a way to start excepting frozen. But you can't do this with seahorses at least not that I know of. I spent about 6 weeks raising brine shrimp to train a mandarins to eat frozen and they made it then when I put them in the dt they reverted back to pods and died. Dwarf seahorses are a huge task. Water quality has to be perfect and that's even harder to do in a 6g tank. Not trying to tell you you can't do it. Just really think about if you want to get yourself into this and not to be mean but the first time will probably fail and probably the 2nd time as well until you really understand the method to take to train them and be successful.

Good luck mate I really mean it. I hope it works out for you because Iv always loved seahorse tanks.

Back
Top Bottom