fluval Chi to 10 gal upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jmkb02 said:
Have you looked at any possum wrasses?? They are very cool and only require 10 gallons.

I haven't but you have piqued my interest! I'm going to go look in a few minutes. I want a colorful fish that's going to swim around. I kind of want something that not everybody has, but isn't super expensive like a helfrichi firefish. Those are lovely but cost too much. You know? But also something that's pretty hardy. I've had terrible luck with the clown gobies.

Ok- so here is details on my tank setup.

10 gal tank
•I spray painted the back black. Holy cow- I suggest everyone do that because it is awesome! •I used a flat black spray paint.
•modified "critter" tank lid. You know, the metal screen covers people would use for a lizard tank or whatever. I bought a little hacksaw yesterday and modified it so that I could fit my equipment on the back of the tank. I may buy some plexiglass to replace the metal screen part with so that I will have less evaporation.
•I am running a tetra HOB for a 5-10 gal tank (live rock rubble in the filter instead of filter pad), a Regent HOB for a 20 gal tank (nothing in it but i will get some more live rock rubble) and a hydor pico power head at 200gph. So I have probably close to 400gph total flow.
•heater is 100W or 200W. I forgot and I'm not fishing it out to check.
•12 W par38 LED lamp bulb w/ 4 white, 6 blue, 1 green, 1 red.
•Pool filter sand substrate.
•live rock. Not sure how many pounds but I'd guess 5-8. Probably will pick up another couple of pieces of base rock when I go to get the rubble in the next few weeks.
•stock includes: 4 hermits, 2 nassarius snails, 2 cerith snails, 1 emerald crab, cluster of feather duster worms, zoas and trumpet coral.
•tests are 0, nitrates less than 5ppm.

Now that we are all up to date on the tank specifics, here's a few pics. :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/57623-albums10765-picture46000.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/57623-albums10765-picture46001.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/57623-albums10765-picture46002.html

Something else I would recommend (since you wanna go with a more rare fish...) a Catalina goby and also a shrimp goby. Both are awesome and I have only seen them each a handful of times. Or if you want a little swimmer, and chill fish, I love my harp tail blenny. They are active and pretty hardy. Just some more ideas.... By the way congrats on the new tank. Looks good. Bet you'll be up to the big boy tang tanks before you know it.

What I'm about to say will most likely get me responses telling me I've overstocked both of my saltwater tanks.
In my bio cube 14, I have 2x baby clowns, a six line, a yellow watch man and pistol shrimp, and a ranfordi goby.
In my 7 gallon, I have a scooter blenny and a tail spot blenny.

I honestly think both tanks are quiet stable and I do regular water changes.

Zactheninja said:
What I'm about to say will most likely get me responses telling me I've overstocked both of my saltwater tanks.
In my bio cube 14, I have 2x baby clowns, a six line, a yellow watch man and pistol shrimp, and a ranfordi goby.
In my 7 gallon, I have a scooter blenny and a tail spot blenny.

I honestly think both tanks are quiet stable and I do regular water changes.

Clowns, no matter the size need 30 + gallons especially if you have more than one. I don't know what a ranfordi goby is but most gobys do ok in 12 or more gallons. The yellow watchman does need 30 + too though. Not trying to ram it down your throat but your tank will crash it's just a matter of time. If you put all if that into a 37 or bigger, you would still be super stocked to the gills. Just trying to put it into perspective.

Catalina's do need a bit colder tank but I have seen them in tanks that are maintained around 73-75 and they are still very active and handle the warmth very well. He loved the mushrooms and Little zoa garden in a buddies tank, that's why I thought Of your tank as a Candidate.

Have you thought of any new additions yet fish wise??

Jmkb02 said:
Something else I would recommend (since you wanna go with a more rare fish...) a Catalina goby and also a shrimp goby. Both are awesome and I have only seen them each a handful of times. Or if you want a little swimmer, and chill fish, I love my harp tail blenny. They are active and pretty hardy. Just some more ideas.... By the way congrats on the new tank. Looks good. Bet you'll be up to the big boy tang tanks before you know it.

I don't think my house would support a tang tank! Lol! But I eventually want to upgrade to a 55 (maybe 75).

I would love to have a Catalina goby- but I had read along while back that they are cool water fish.

I looked at the Pygmy wrasses. That's a neat looking fish. I will keep that one in mind.

I have the "advantage" -if you can call it that- of not being able to get a fish for 4 more weeks due to the fact that the clown goby I had died from Ich. So I have time to figure out what fish I want. I *might* get a new coral fairly soon. I will surely update when I do!

man i just saw a flaming prawn goby for the first time. apparently they're hard to care for and hard to come by.. but boy do they look nice!

FlamingPrawnGoby3.jpg

scottayy said:
man i just saw a flaming prawn goby for the first time. apparently they're hard to care for and hard to come by.. but boy do they look nice!

Wow! That's a beautiful fish! I've never seen one before.

Bearchumjs said:

I have a Firefish and orange striped cardinal in the 30g, and they're both great! The cardinal is always out front and is pretty. The Firefish is out sometimes and is colorful. The cardinal is the first one to come up and bite at the turkey Baster when it's dinnertime. That would be a good combo!

Bearchumjs said:
Or maybe just a firefish and a fire shrimp. That's probably what will happen. :)

These are both pretty, but the Firefish do hide in the burrow a bit. And they fire shrimp, from what I've heard, hide during the day a lot. So your tank might look pretty empty at times cuz everyone would be hiding. :(

Beengirl said:
These are both pretty, but the Firefish do hide in the burrow a bit. And they fire shrimp, from what I've heard, hide during the day a lot. So your tank might look pretty empty at times cuz everyone would be hiding. :(

+1...
Firefish are cool looking, when you see them. They are big time hiders. And they are skittish beyond all, mine would jump right out of the tank of someone walked past. That's actually what ended him, dumb fish! Lol. We prob picked him up half a dozen times. Worse part is, there is only a 3x6 inch section that isn't covered in my tank.

Glad you saw the possum wrasse. They are chill and will go all over the tank. Cardinal might be a good choice too! I have pjs, and my nephews love them bc they never hide. Just chill near the top half. Shoot maybe a cardinal and goby. One takes the top, one takes the sand.

I got new coral!!

I got a pagoda cup, purple montipora, and some orange palys. All for $18. I will post pics tomorrow when they are open and happy.

Back
Top Bottom