Fluval Edge 6G Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't go with LED's honestly. I have a 12 watt 50/50 over my 24g just for a shimmer effect, since I have compact fluorescent bulbs. Point source illumination is what makes the glitter lines :). Since it is a fluval edge, I would definitely not go with a canopy, as that kind of defeats the purpose.

Try a halide pendant for sure, just be sure to raise it waaay off of your tank. But honestly, I would go with Ricordea in that tank. I'm assuming they are very cheap in Florida (lucky for you >>).

I have a koralia 425 and it'd probably be just the right amount of flow for that tank. Just be sure to point it towards the surface, especially if you have low flow loving inhabitants.

For the 220 you plan on getting...I would definitely try out one of those new maxijet pro circulation pumps. The flow they output is incredible, and I mean that. I'm not sure how big they get, but you may as well buy one of the upper end ones and give it a shot. Why pay 80 dollars for a Tunze when a 20-30 dollar Maxijet can do the same thing?

I put the smallest one in my 24g and it was too much flow...at half the price of my 425 koralia (it is way too large to put in a super nano though). Had to convert it to a powerhead. But seriously, save yourself quite a few bucks and give 'em a shot :p

Oh, corals that won't need a skimmer. As i said, lots of mushrooms do better without skimmers, as do some zoos. Rhodactis, Actinodiscus, zoas (button polyps especially) would do quite well, so long as you have required lighting. You wouldn't need much light for the less vividly colored ones though.

No I don't wolfpack. If you pointed it directly, definitely too much, put I would point it at the output powerhead, placed in the opposite corner of the tank to disperse the flow. I really wasn't too impressed with the 425 in my 14g considering the price, but it does fine.

thanks i orderd a gently used for $20 i heard good things not to get off topic but to clear my confusion heres my tank the koralia would go in the top to mid left pointed up twords surface slightly angled right or should i move filter to the left so the coard can reach? i think I'd be better off moving filter to the left power strips about 2ft down on the right

In that tank all should be fine. It's actually about as wide as my 24 cube, and I just have the 425 pointed directly at my montipora because it's really not that strong.

As for my Maxijet 600 (a better fit for my 24) I have it in the front left of my tank, pointed at the back right of my tank where the return flow is. I would do this with your 425 and see how things go.

thanks i just don't know what to do with the cord or if itl reach thats why im thinkin do the oppsite slide filter left place ph in same position on right that way i can move the cord the through the opening and itl reach the power strip. i won't know till wensday-thursday though when it comes in along with my stars thankks for the help sorry to hijack

I really think the 425 will be slightly overbearing in the Edge. Coupled with the AC no one has had flow issues with using the 240.
Also, the extra turbulence that it would cause would only contribute to splash-up on the lights.

So a koralia 240 would be sufficient for flow in the edge? Would you agree that a brain coral shouldn't be kept in the edge jenatron?

So a koralia 240 would be sufficient for flow in the edge? Would you agree that a brain coral shouldn't be kept in the edge jenatron?

Yes, that was my plan when I was considering making my Edge a reef, and it's worked for many many others.

Can't comment, don't have personal experience there. I've seen brains in picos, but that's certainly not good enough reason to advocate.

I see no reason why brains would need a sump. I've kept brains in small tanks with a fair amount of luck. Never had a sump until this 90 either.

Cool, I really think they look nice but I don't won't to buy it if it wouldn't thrive in the nano. I am out of town, I will post some pics of the new tank tomorrow.

Got it set up! Call it a systems check, just filled it with tap to make sure everything was working. Bought used for 50 bucks. Came with some extra filter pads as well. Tank was NASTY, guy killed everything in it. Cleaning it was tons of fun, looking forward to starting the cycle this weekend!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110524_215213.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110524_215213.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 115
It is small, lol I don't get how it holds 6 gallons. But it looks nice, can't wait to start my first nano reef.

I am very excited. I'm thinking of setting up fowlr after the cycle until I can get the $$$ for lights that will support corals.

I'm thinking about two PAR 38's on either side of the filter cover. I would need to find a corner lamp with two adjustable fixtures.

that's what im doing i should have my coral supporting lights by the end of summer along with alot of other things i wonder if my current lights could support it....

Back
Top Bottom