Minimum lighting for Acros?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 10 gal frag tank with 2x32 PC lighting. Would this support acros? I would guess not but I thought I would see if anyone has done it. They could be raised towards the top of the tank so the depth would be 4-5".

The reason I ask is I have found some nice acro colonies I would like to frag to help in the cost but I really don't want a ton of frags in the display. I can put them in the display so it is not a problem but I thought I would see if I could use the frag tank instead. I don't want brown acros :)

Thanks

That's 6.4wpg and I would think you could have anything you want with 6.4wpg.

watts per gallon is HIGHLY missleading and a fairly bogus measurement. Corals and clams require a specific intensity of lighting not a specific watts per gallon, a 100 watt light has the same intensity over a nano and over a 55 gal, does this let me have sps in my 55 even when they are super high up in the tank, no not really. That being said, I would definately try an sps frag and see how it does, if it takes to your nano and grows well then go for it! However, most acros will live under lower lights they just will loose their coloration and turn brownish.

However, most acros will live under lower lights they just will loose their coloration and turn brownish.
Well said lziarek. It's all about intensity w/ true HIGH light corals/clams. Spending good money, and you do pay for colorful Acros as you know, only to have them brown out-not good.

Agreed. I wanted to see if anyone had done this.

The LFS store has sales on brown acros on occasion. Most color up after ahwile :) It is sad they don't put better light on them.

Thanks for the replies.

I have a silly question. If the acros has brown out for a few weeks, can you brush it off? My LFS store has one for sale in good price. It was all white in the beginning and I can afford it. After been there for a few weeks, it started to turn brownish. Thx

ellisz, I wouldn't recommend it. Getting a brown out from lower light is a better alternative to the other possibility. While I have seen acro sustained under PC lighting, I have yet to see one thrive. The acropora sp. as a whole simply needs a lot of water flow, pristine water conditions with stable high levels of calcium and other trace elements, and tons of good lighting. Trying a single frag may be worth it but I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket, especially if the basket is small and improperly lighted.

wlam, on the fear of walking into a troll trap, if you can brush anything off an sps coral do not buy it, it is not a healthy specimen. Also if this coral was once bone white (there are some acropora sp. that are white) it is probably dead. The term brownout of an SPS primarily acro coral refers to a once colored healthy specimen either losing or changing its zooxanthellae due to harsher conditions. This usually precludes death and is a trigger for distress. A coral that had browned out can recover fully when moved back into a good environment.

R-

Thanks all. I guess I need to clean out my display a bit. I have 2 leathers that are around 6-10" wide so I need to move them out or frag them. A bigger tank would work but that is another story :)

Back
Top Bottom