My frogspawn coral won't open anymore!! Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zeroblake

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello reefers !!

Well since a several weeks ago, my frogspawn won't open anymore, i was checking the water parameters when that happened , and i found some phosphates , and starts to grow up so much brown algae, this start like 1st weeks of december

Sorry i press the wrong button!!

Ok when this happened i was watching than my corals starts to close up, little by little, and one of them my frogspawn shrink the tentacles all the way, completely closed, and when to the fish store to talk about my problem and they gave me a phosphate remover and this one works good because it takes the phos out of my aquarium, but since that happened my coral doesn't open anymore , my water parameters are or were since that !!

Ammo 0ppm
Nitrates 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Ph 8.0 to 8.2
Phosphates (1st weeks 0.25ppm after add the solution is 0ppm )
Calcium between 420 to 4500
Kh , 8 to 10
Magnesium, ( i have no test kit for it)

My thank is a ecopico aquarium 5.5 gallons
Almost 1 1/2 pound of live rock,
Eheim canister filter'
Light kessil 150w ocean blue!!

I understand than i have a really small aquarium but everything was so perfect until i found phosphates in this aquarium!!

I know than i have a powerful light but thanks to this light my corals been growing up really awesome, even my frogspawn when i get it was only ine head ,and now is two heads !!

I really miss to see it fully open again!!

This was my 1st coral , and is my favorite !!

Thank you reefers to read me !! Have a great day

Hello again reefers,

Well tonight my frogspawn is worst than another days, i don't know what to do at this point, if is dying i have to take it off of the aquarium before starts to decomposing , and the other corals may hurt ! Or if theres anything to get recovery please let me know, some times i've been thinking to put it on quarantine , but i have no quarantine tank, i could make something quick like have a bucket with some light and water flow to see what happen ! Or just take it of and let it die!! I don't know what to do!!

Help please!! Thanks

Attachments

• image-2255262486.jpg
    image-2255262486.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 286
  • image-4276598680.jpg
    image-4276598680.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 198
And also, in my pink panther zoa' is growing something in the middle of the polyps , is something like white foam, and this ones since a couple days all the polyps won't fully open, i'm building another aquarium and i was thinking to change them to the oder aquarium but i don't know if could be a good idea!!

Thanks reefers

I'm looking for more info about my problem and i read than dips in iodine solution with RO water will help, but i don't know if this really will help!! And also i read about the lugol's iodine , where i could find it if that works,!! Thanks

First off, I think you have a serious case of cyano. It means there's some build up of nutrients in the tank. Also, maybe you don't have enough water flow in there. I just have to address that issue based on the photos that you posted. What kind of test kit are you using? How old is your tank? How often do you do pwc? How often do you feed your tank? What kind of filtration do you have?

First off, I think you have a serious case of cyano. It means there's some build up of nutrients in the tank. Also, maybe you don't have enough water flow in there. I just have to address that issue based on the photos that you posted. What kind of test kit are you using? How old is your tank? How often do you do pwc? How often do you feed your tank? What kind of filtration do you have?

Hi there,
My water flow is ok, some times i think than is to much because i watch than all my corals move it with the flow!!

I'm using API saltwater test, and API marine reef test!!

My tank is 7 months old .!!

I do a pwc once a week like 10 to 20 % ,

I feed my fishes only twice a day and only what they can eat, i feed them with elos brand !'

My filtration is a canister eheim !!

Thanks for your help, i hope you can tell me how to fix my problem!! Thank you have a great day

Ok, you are causing the issue in your tank by feeding so much. Cut back on feeding to every other day and do so minimally. Siphon out the cyano and do another water change. After the water change is done, clean out your canister. Canisters are nitrate factories if not cleaned on a regular basis, but anything with large amounts of poop and uneaten food will decay into nitrates and cause this issue.

Keep up with the siphoning of the cyano and weekly water changes and you'll address the issue, but it will keep coming back unless you slow down the nutrient imported by your overfeeding.

Zeroblake said:
Hello reefers !!

Well since a several weeks ago, my frogspawn won't open anymore, i was checking the water parameters when that happened , and i found some phosphates , and starts to grow up so much brown algae, this start like 1st weeks of december

This exact thing happened to my frogspawn!! My tank is a 55 gallon. My frogspawn was closed for close to 2-3 weeks...sad to say I didn't know why. I kept doing 10% wc as usual and there were no changes. Just yesterday I decided to do a 20% wc and in the next few hrs it started expending it's tentacles a little longer. I also had brown algae growing on my rocks. I siphoned as much as I could out of the sand and from the rocks. Hopefully today it opens back up like before.

Ok, you are causing the issue in your tank by feeding so much. Cut back on feeding to every other day and do so minimally. Siphon out the cyano and do another water change. After the water change is done, clean out your canister. Canisters are nitrate factories if not cleaned on a regular basis, but anything with large amounts of poop and uneaten food will decay into nitrates and cause this issue.

Keep up with the siphoning of the cyano and weekly water changes and you'll address the issue, but it will keep coming back unless you slow down the nutrient imported by your overfeeding.

Hey thank you so much for your comment!!

Well i don't even think than i was causing the issue, because i've been trying to feed my fishes little by little until they don't touch the food anymore, and this food are like tiny pieces of food i put like equals quantity for each of then between 5 to 8 , but they always finished them , and some time i'll feed my mini anemones with a little piece of scallop and they also finish them , i do this once every week! But thank you for this comment, it help me really much, i hope to could recovery my coral, and i'll do the water change right away , and i will clean as much as possible my canister filter and all the parts!! And also i search some more info about cyano , and i read than could do a water change of 60% and 50% the other day, but i don't know if this could be right!!

Well thank you again , have a great day

This exact thing happened to my frogspawn!! My tank is a 55 gallon. My frogspawn was closed for close to 2-3 weeks...sad to say I didn't know why. I kept doing 10% wc as usual and there were no changes. Just yesterday I decided to do a 20% wc and in the next few hrs it started expending it's tentacles a little longer. I also had brown algae growing on my rocks. I siphoned as much as I could out of the sand and from the rocks. Hopefully today it opens back up like before.

Thanks Jake,

I'm going to do a WC and siphon all the sand as much as can, and see how that works!!

Have a great day

Back
Top Bottom