Nano cube 28g cf-quad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No havent done water changes, just top off. ill just wait ill test again next week or so hopefully everything goes well, thanks guys!

This might help.......IMO

Method B: Curing process of live rock for the new aquarium that DOES NOT contain fish, corals, or any other marine animals.
Live rock may be used to cycle a new marine aquarium. Follow the manufacturer's directions on the installation of all filtration devices and accessories. Fill aquarium with freshly mixed saltwater with a specific gravity of 1.023-1.025. Activate all filtration equipment, check for leaks, and set heater and/or chiller to the desired temperature of 72-78°F.
Note: Mechanical filtration will need frequent cleaning during this cycling process.

Rinse each piece of live rock in a small bucket of saltwater to remove any loose organic matter, debris, or sand.
Place live rock into the aquarium to create a stable foundation for corals or decorations.
Keep the lighting system off during the cycling period in order to reduce the likelihood of undesirable algae growth.
Gently scrub the rocks periodically with a new nylon bristle brush or toothbrush to remove loose white film or dead material.
Perform 50% water changes weekly while siphoning out any organic matter and loose debris that accumulates at the bottom of the aquarium.
Measure and monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels in the aquarium weekly.
When both ammonia and nitrite levels are zero, perform a 50% water change on the aquarium.
After 24 hours, check the pH of the water and adjust as needed to achieve the desired level of 8.1-8.4.
Most aquariums will cycle within 2-4 weeks using this technique, depending on the equipment that is installed.

Thanks! I already have a small cultured fiji rock in it plus several uncured ones, i put 1/2 piece of a shrimp to decompose at its 1st day and now its gone, do u think i should put another half?

If those are recent readings then you are in the middle of cycling. The nitrites will actually disappear by themselves so no need to worry. i also would not do any water changes until the cycle is complete. :)

Yes, you need to put another shrimp or pure ammonia in the tank. Without the ammonia source the cycle will not happen.

Heres an update on my tank, its the 4th week of cycling period, and heres the results

image-3693834625.jpg

Is my cycle done? Last week which was the 3rd week my nitrite was sky high

I would remove the shrimp if you still have on in there. Then see if the ammonia goes right to 0 the next day. If your nitrites already peaked you should be cycled.

I took out the shrimp last week(3rdweek) when i had a nitrite spike, i just did the test again and heres the results, it looks the same to me

image-2774816006.jpg

It looks better to me just your nitrates are still high. Give it some more time do a water change and test again. I did water changes threw out my cycle and it seemed to help, I also had a mass algae bloom in which I had to turn the lights out for three days to stop it. (didn't know to not have the lights on full blast! Duh!) you said your tank is the same as mine right? 28 jbj nano?

Nice free is good! Mine was a display unit that was never used. Got it for 200 less than normal price. Didn't use the stand though, didn't match my furniture! Lol

Cool i heard there was a black color, mines dark gray. Btw what brand of salt r u using? I just bought instant ocean probly gna start mixing once my tank is ready :) cant wait

I can't remember I took it out of the bag all I remember is the ratio! Marine somthing I think. Almost time to get another bag I will post what I get. I think instant ocean is one of the most popular that's for sure.

image-3714498094.jpg

Hey guys heres an experiment, i tested my tank water, RO water and a bottled water for ammonia just to see if my test kit is accurate and the pic above r the results. Idk y the RO which is the middle one is not clear yellow?? The left one is my tank, n right one is the bottled, i got the RO FROM my lfs, any comments?? Just seeing this results make me dont wanna trust my lfs, or is that normal for RO water??

Left. You still have amonnia in your tank.
Middle. No amonnia from LFS( should be cloudy)
Right. No idea! Makes ya wonder about the water we drink!!! The amonnia test is supposed to be cloudy not clear. Bottled water what the #\*%?

I'd check the salinity of the LFS water. Any time I've had to use an ammonia test on my freshwater tank it's been clear.

Back
Top Bottom