Nano doubts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike-words

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys. Im looking into a nano 29g I just told my mentor who got me into salt and he has told me to stay away from any thing under 30-40g as there is so little room for error and if you have even a little tiny thing die that it will crash the tank. So my question to you is : is the above true? How much room for error is there? Just how much up keep is there? Will it run on" autopilot " for me like my 175g.

One thing dying won't crash the tank, but things happen much quicker in a smaller system because of the fact that there is less water for any pollutants to be diluted.

Upkeep is fairly simple as long as you know what you are doing and stay on top of things. The first six months or so are the hardest part with parameter swings after you add new livestock, but after that, things will stabilize, and it isn't much different than having a larger tank. Decent idea to keep a few gallons of pre-mixed saltwater on hand just in case something happens.

My 14g biocube is really easy to take care of. It may be because I keep some shaving brush plants in there but all my parameters are stable, never having to change the water immediately because ammonia or nitrites. Only fish are 2 clowns.

I have a 14 Bio as well. I clean the glass 1 time a week. check spec gr/sal. Once a week before and after p water change and otherwise just leave it alone. Simple

Ok so I can treat it like I do the 175g: top off, run tests if I think to 1-2 months apart, pwc less than once a month. Is it fine to. Leave in the hands of neighbor ( feed and top off ) other than that no fish experience.

I would do more water changes than that because it is smaller so organics will dissolve in the water more frequently than in the 175g.

I have a 4g and a 29g biocube. I do weekly water changes of about 15-20%. More on the pico. It's easy enough to maintain but like stated, you have to be on top of things. I test probably every few days, but thats more for my amusement I guess than need. If anything goes wrong though, the smaller size can work against you.

I also have 2- 125g tanks and find I do less work on them, not sure if it has anything to do with the extra volume or that it just is that much easier with more water.

So if there is an issue eg. Something dies do I have to scramble and tons of pwc to keep from losing more as a result

Depends on your test results. If something dies and produces and ammonia spike you have to immediately take care of it with pwc's.

Could you guys give me an idea of your actual maintenance program on your tank

Very little, except for pwc weekly. I believe this keeps maintenance to a minimum.

I have a 16 gallon I clean the glass about once a week and do a pwc every two weeks and that has kept my tank very clean and stable

Back
Top Bottom