New 14 Gallon Nano Cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adonahue052

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

I'm a new member and i'm starting my second saltwater reef tank(first was failed several years ago). So far I have put 5 pounds of live sand, about 10 pounds of fiji live rock, and about 2 pounds of tufa rock. I also added 6 scarlet hermits, 5 blue hermits and 1 turbo snail. I plan on adding a purple firefish, and a cleaner shrimp in 2 weeks once the tank is fully cycled. Any thoughts or suggestions? feedback would be greatly appreciated. btw the picture of my aquarium is my profile picture if you wanted a visual.

Thanks

Andrew

You shouldn't have livestock in your tank when it is cycling! Very stressful and unfair to put the animals threw the ammonia spike. Could potentially kill them.

I agree but I was told that after 3 to 4 weeks of cyclying fish could be safely added as long as the ph, nitrates, nitrites, sg, and anmonia levels were within the range of the fish. purple firefish are quite hardy besides the fact.

I would have reduced on the hermits and increased on the snails... The snails are easier to manage... When you have too many hermits in one tank and they start out growing one another they will start killing each-other for the shells... You could say that you would add bare shells to the tank but that won't stop a hermit from killing another crab for it's shell...

My advise would be to reduce the number of hermits in the tank and increase the snails... And for live stock go with the fire fish a pistol shrimp and a bicolor blenny...

"I would have reduced on the hermits and increased on the snails... The snails are easier to manage... When you have too many hermits in one tank and they start out growing one another they will start killing each-other for the shells... You could say that you would add bare shells to the tank but that won't stop a hermit from killing another crab for it's shell...

My advise would be to reduce the number of hermits in the tank and increase the snails... And for live stock go with the fire fish a pistol shrimp and a bicolor blenny..."

great point, the biggest hermit actually just killed one and is now eating it. thank you for the advice though, i do plan on getting a bi color blenny, and purple firefish along with a pistol shrimp, and cleaner shrimp.

My advice is to get rid of all the hermits. They're bad news, especially in a nano. Unless u don't like snails

You're very welcome adonahue052 :) upload some pictures when you get the fish in would love to see the finished setup. Ps: you will love the bicolor blenny cause not only does he keep your algae in check but he is just such a lot of fun :)

Back
Top Bottom