New here...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaxadam

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just set up a14 gal. biocube, added live rock and live sand, and even though I thought the tank has cycled, apparently it hasn't. Had a small nitrogen spike, it went away, and I took the water to the store to get tested and they are not quite happy with it. We're going to give it a few more days.

Any advice for stocking? We're going to start with a few corals, and then add maybe 1 to 2 fish, probably damsels for starters.

I'd like to hear any success stories you guys and gals may have.

i am currently setting up a 10 gallon nano, all the advice i have been give suggesty that coral should be the last thing you add, after the tank has been running good for 6 months or more. but i will leave it to the experts to conferm or denie that.

as far as other stock i would suggest some different inverts like crabs and shrimp and one or two fish if you want.

HTH :)

I have not done nano. But I second the motion that the coral should be the last thing you add as JDogg said. And I would research what fish you really want to have that can thrive in a 14gallon tank and not just damsels for starters unless you want to end up with only damsels or plan to buy an additional tank for the damsels later. The Damsels I have seen are a lot of fun to watch. I have a 3stripe damsel I got the other day for my 46g he darts of with lightning speed like 2feet in 2 seconds. they like room to swim. my clownfish however I never see acting speedy at all they just kinda wiggle there way around tank like a happy puppy wagging its tail and may be better in a 14gallon.

:smilecolros:Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!:smilecolros:

It is refreshing to hear of a LFS that actually said you were NOT ready for fish yet. First off...what method are you using to cycle the tank? You will a source of NH3 to get the process going. However, if you fully-cured LR and true LS then it is very possible you would not experience a full cycle. Throw some flake food in the tank once a day for a few days and test for NH3, NO2, and NO3. If NH3 and NO2 remain at zero and NO3 remains low, it would suggest your tank is cycled. At that point, do a large (50%) water change and monitor parameters for a couple more days. If all is well, you are ready to add livestock...SLOWLY and monitor parameters along the way. This set-up period is the most critical part in keeping a SW tank. If you have a tank that has not experienced a hard and complete cycle you will find yourself in a constant battle to keep water parameters acceptible. A little more time now will save you lots of time, heartache and money down the road.

As for livestock, I would skip the damsels as well. They are territorial and aggressive so with such little space they will cause issues. I would suggest starting with a false perc or something similar. Hold off on corals for a few months to let your tank mature a bit. This will give you time to research ehat corals are appropriate for your tank and the supplied lighting. Good luck.

Cycling with live rock. I have a bit of diatoms going on now. Threw some turbos and hermits in there.

All parameters seem to be looking good. I think this weekend we might start off with a few coral frags.

All parameters seem to be looking good. I think this weekend we might start off with a few coral frags.

My tank has been cycled for well over 2months now and I am afraid to even think of adding a coral. I think the Coral is the icing to the cake you have to bake the cake first. Bake it too fast and it will burn and taste horrible

Well, actually getting a heck of a brown algae bloom.

Scrubbed the rocks, turned off the lights, gonna do some water changes over the next couple of days and play it by ear.

I am afraid it may be a bit premature to think about adding corals. Wait a couple of months to make sure parameters are stable and consistant.

Yup, the plan is to wait a little while and let the tank get all settled in. Don't plan on adding anything for a little while.

Added a Court Jester Goby and two Chromis. Everyone seems to be pretty happy. Tank is getting very clean, and all parameters look good.

Will probably wait a little while, and then slowly start to introduce some corals.

Back
Top Bottom