Phosphate levels too high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pony of the Sea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

Although I am not new to this site I am new to talking on the forum and this is my first post.

I currently have a 20g reef setup that was set up beginning of this past summer. I have been checking and up-keeping the tank religiously as well as doing weekly 25% water changes. As of right now I have only a one seahorse and a royal gramma and 6-8 soft corals.
Since the addition of life to this tank the phosphate levels have been high. (I've checked my water source and salt mixture, both are phosphate free). I have even cut down on feeding my seahorse to try to help.

I've purchased many products that did not lower the levels but the only one that worked was kent phosphate sponge. I thought it was because I didn't have a skimmer but I've had my prizm for over 2 weeks now and levels have stayed high.

I really Don't want to have to be buying (expensive) phosphate sponge for the rest of the tanks life.

Please shed some light on anything I may be slinging wrong/ overlooking. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

I will try to post some pictures of my pony, her name is Lola.

Hi. welcome to the site :-D

What do you feed your tank as far as food? Flake food can have alot of phosphates in it as well as the frozen cubes. You can try to rinse your cubes of food when defrosting and see if that helps.

My first though is what kind of water are you using but if you've tested that
I'm not quite sure what it could be.....btw, whta type of test kit are you using for your phosphates? I like the salifert ones, a little more money but very accurate.

Thanks for the welcome. I am using an API test kit. I've been able to lower the levels by using Kent phosphate sponge. Working but really don't want to have to spend$$ to keep phosphate in check.

I do not use Ro water. I'm just using filtered tap water right now. But I tested the source and has low phosphate, close to 0ppm.

My salt I use also adds no phosphate

Could it be possible that Tap water could overtime create phosphate?

Pony of the Sea said:
Also how much harm are the minerals and stuff in my filtered tap water doing to my corals?

I'd say if your source water only has low phopsphates it couldnt be good it should be right on 0 i still have alot to learn but all the studying up i've done shows its better to use ro water with o tds although my lfs only uses tap water with dechlorinator and their tanks look fine

Back
Top Bottom