Powerhead for Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'd like to get a powerhead for waterflow, in my 10gallon nano, but I just want it to be gentle and not be a storm in there!

Can anyone recommend a particular make of powerhead which is very quiet and good? Or, what gallons/hour should I be looking at for my tank, to provide just a gentle/light movement?

Or, do I even need an extra powerhead at all? I'll be using a small internal filter as well as liverock for filtration, so maybe the filter will provide enough flow, given the size of the tank?

Thanks.

An extra poerhead is a good idea in addition to the flow created by the filters. Look at the mini-jet 606 as a reliable option.

Also, they don't seem to have a flow fixture on the end to disperse the water evenly?
They do not come with any type of flow director, but in a smaller tank its not much of an issue. Any flow will bounce off of the glass and become more caotic.

lando said:
Also, they don't seem to have a flow fixture on the end to disperse the water evenly?
They do not come with any type of flow director, but in a smaller tank its not much of an issue. Any flow will bounce off of the glass and become more caotic.

OK, thanks! Is there any particular direction I should be pointing the flow? My filter will be at the back right of the tank, pointing to the left; I was thinking of putting the powerhead at the back left, pointing to the right (pointing at the filter basically). Ideally, I'd like the powerhead to point diagonally across the tank from the back left corner, but I can't seem to find a suitable powerhead that allows you to adjust the angle. Also, I'm trying to find one that's less than 350lph (10 times my 35L tank), to keep things gentle.

Will pointing it at the filter be ok?

I've got a minijet 606 on my ten gallon and it is great. You can control the flow and I have mine on like the second notch if I put it on max flow it would be way too much. I have mine on the middle of the tank on the back glass facing the front so it hits the glass and spreads out like Lando said. I am pleased with it.

Lance M. said:
I've got a minijet 606 on my ten gallon and it is great. You can control the flow and I have mine on like the second notch if I put it on max flow it would be way too much. I have mine on the middle of the tank on the back glass facing the front so it hits the glass and spreads out like Lando said. I am pleased with it.

Good to hear! I might look at one of the minijets then, or even the micro. I wouldn't want it in the middle of the back though, too visible! ;) I wonder where I could put it so it's unobtrusive, but also doing its job...maybe on the back of the tank, right at the left, pointing towards the front?

I have mine right in between two big rocks so you can see it but you can't really see it if you get what I mean. In fact coraline is starting to cover it so in a couple months it'll probably just blend in with the rocks! lol

Cool :p I'll have plenty of rock, but it's useless just pointing at the back of the rock I guess so it'll need to be fairly high up. If you said you've got yours on the second notch, what gallons/hour would you say that setting is? I just want a nice gentle flow, nothing major, so maybe one of the micros would be ok for me, turning over less than 10x my water volume an hour?

It's somewhere between 100 and 120 gph. I keep it clean so debris doesn't stress the motor.

Looking at the prices a Mini-Jet 606 is rated at 84-160gph $14.39.
Micro-Jet 450 I guess is adjustable to either 47,79,117gph $13.59

So 80 cents more for the Mini-Jet isn't bad. And if you decided you needed more flow you could adjust up to 160 gph.

The Mini-Jet 404 is rated between 20-106 gph $10.99 you could probably get this one and just put it on max flow.

The prices are from my DrsFosterSmith.com catalog.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

The only thing putting me off the Mini is the position of the lead - as it's on the front of the powerhead it'll look a bit messy bending the lead back round. And the Micro is bright green!

Hmm :|

I think I'll wait until I get my tank set up, and see what sort of flow the internal filter creates. Then if it looks like it could benefit from some extra flow, I'll get either the Mini or the Micro...I'm hoping I can just use the filter for the flow though, so there's no extra clutter! :)

Back
Top Bottom