Questions on a 12G Nano Cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wagman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am interested in a 12G Nano Cube for a SW set up. I was thinking of live rock with some fish. What do you think I could keep in that kind of a system?

I realize there won't be much room for error and tolerances would be tight. I have had exeperience with a 29 gal. SW tank about 10 years ago, and I keep African freshwater now.

Would I need extra equiptment like a protein skimmer? Do you think the stock lighting is adequate.

Thanks in advance.

-wags

We have a 24g nano cube DX and a 6g nano cube DX. In the 24g DX we have a frogspawn coral as the center peice, xenia, colt coral, shrooms, polyps and a doughnut coral. I think the lighting in the DX is really good for the price. You should be able to keep any softies you want no problem.

I don't feel a protein skimmer is needed in this type of system. If you use lots and lots of live rock and fill the back compartments with live rock you shouldnt have too many problems. I also run carbon in a media sock in the back compartments as well and this seems to help out quite a bit.

In the 6g I have a small peacock mantis shrimp with a few different color polyps and grape calupra macro to keep things a bit more stable.

http://nanotuners.nanocustoms.com/nanotuners/

This is a good site if you really want to get into the nano reefing experiance.

Click on View My Gallery under my name. I have a bunch of pictures in there of my 18 gallon. It's fitted with an Ecosystem 40 refugium and has been doing excellent for four years now. The tank thrives and is very low maintenance. Even though the refugium is made for up to 40 gallon, the refugium fits perfectly on the back of a 10, 12, and 18. You'll get nice natural growth. See all that red stuff??? Not the marcro algae...I'm taking about the dark purple red stuff growing in disks all over the rocks. That's another species of coralline algae. Cool, huh??? Can only get it with a refugium :)

Back
Top Bottom