Reverse osmosis unit worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ozzlil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Only one place near me sells reverse osmosis water. I'd rather just make me own, will my tap water be safe if I run it through a R/O unit? Any you would recommend?

I might as well chime in. I don't c u getting any other hits on this topic.
I have a MightyMite RO/DI unit that works perfectly for me. It isn't a high output unit. About 2 gal per Hr. Enough for my aquariums as well as my personal consumption.
It mostly depends on the TDS of ur current water supply as to how well it will work and how much maintenance will b required for ur unit. If u have high Total Dissolved Solids in ur supply water than u will b changing a couple the filters more frequently. It's not as big a deal as it sounds though. TDS meters aren't expensive and if ur seriously thinking of going this route than u need 1 anyway. Or take a sample of ur tap water into ur LFS and let them check it. I usually tell people with a lot of iron in their well water not to even bother with it.

defiantly worth it to get one. I got mine from filterdirect.com its 100 gal. per day for around $138 also they have one 150 gal. for $150

Yeah, those big units r awesome if u intend on taking baths in RO/DI water

Thanks crabs, I ordered the mighty mite

I don't think u will b disappointed in this compact unit. I mounted mine under the cabinet above my sink and leave it hooked up to the supply water with the adapter they provide. Very convenient. There is a quick flush system. Use this for about 5 min. after u first install it. Then turn it on for about 30 sec's periodically. They didn't say anything about it in my directions and I got the info. online. Also, don't forget the TDS meter. It's important to have one, so that u know the unit is working correctly and when to change filters

my ro/di unit was probably the best purchase I have made for my tanks. :)

Like stated above, you won't be disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom