Starfish in 10 gallon tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattt6511

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it possible to put a starfish in a 10 gallon tank? If so what types....
This is what im putting in it, 1 small percula clown, 1 pepermint shrimp, 4 blue legged hermit crabs, 3 astria snails "sounds good?"

It kind of depends on what type.

I can't really suggest a starfish but just do some research on the subject. Some like micro bristle satrs are very small but others get a foot.

bristle stars are easy to take care of but they get big. Mine is probably 8-10" across. He's big. Serpant starfish are also easier to care for. But many of the others are difficult to keep and will die if you don't have excellent water quality. Not sure if putting a big starfish in a tank that small is a good idea...

I can not really think of any star that will do well in a 10gal with the exception of the tiny brittles that hitch-hike in on LR.

I think that a few micro serpent/brittle stars would do nice. You can watch them grow then turn them in to the LFS when they get large enough.

A better alternative to the brittle stars would be 3-4 nassarius snails. The reason being is that nassarius snails are quick moving like the brittle stars, and also are great at cleaning up uneaten food, but also have the benefit of moving your sand bed quite well.

Back
Top Bottom