Stringy stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marman2014

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can any one help I recently started getting this in my 29 bio cube what is it. Is it bad ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397262889.158419.jpg

Really my aquarium is only 4 months old My nitrates read less than 5ppm. Could it be waste? Do light go bad that quick?

It wouldn't be the lights, but your phosphates and nitrates are probably reading low due to the fact that's what the bacteria feeds off of, and in the new stages of your tank you will experience stuff like this. Siphon it out with a water change, and do not put the back water or sand back in.

Due more frequent and bigger changes over the next couple weeks

The cyano is constantly consuming the nitrate, so yo usually won't test for much of it if you have cyano. The same is true for phosphate.

Do you use RODI water? Tap water can introduce phosphates to your aquarium (and other bad things.)

Also, what lights?

Stock lights that came with bio cube I used distilled water is that bad

How much water do you remove during partial water changes and how often ?
Also, how many fish do you have?
What size tank?

And, how long do you leave your lights on ?

I have a 29g BioCube-stock lights, I began to get that type of algae-
I reduced the light cycle, added an Emerald crab and he went to town eating a lot of small algae on my rocks-
I did more frequent PWC-20%, using pre-mixed salt water from the LFS, every 4th day and my tank is sparkling. i also only use RODI from my LFS, to top off when I need to. My tank looks really good, now.

Good luck!
Now, I do a 15% PWC every Monday or Tuesday.

Stock lights that came with bio cube I used distilled water is that bad

Yeah, sorry lights aren't a prob with cyano. Distilled water works for some people but RODI is better IMO and is what most people use.

Another consideration is the flow. Cyano grows in low flow areas. Adjust powerheads as necessary and that should help. As bribo said, siphon out as much as you can when you do WCs.

I will do big water change tomorrow I have a 29 biocube so I'm guessing 10% should be ok. I will syphon wants on sand. It comes up in clumps is that normal I have 5 fish in it and a cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp. Is that to much. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397346142.146669.jpg I have 1200 maxi jet and a 150gph powerhead in corner. Here's my tank.

I will do big water change tomorrow I have a 29 biocube so I'm guessing 10% should be ok. I will syphon wants on sand. It comes up in clumps is that normal I have 5 fish in it and a cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp. Is that to much. View attachment 233023 I have 1200 maxi jet and a 150gph powerhead in corner. Here's my tank.

It looks very nice! However, it might just be me but 5 fish sounds a bit overstocked. Just wondering, what types of fish do you have?

Btw, I believe there are many types of Cyanobacteria, and the wispy stuff you have is just one variety. Another more common type is the red fuzzy stuff.

I will do big water change tomorrow I have a 29 biocube so I'm guessing 10% should be ok. I will syphon wants on sand. It comes up in clumps is that normal I have 5 fish in it and a cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp. Is that to much. View attachment 233023 I have 1200 maxi jet and a 150gph powerhead in corner. Here's my tank.

Loving the carpet anemone!

I agree with everything said but I'd lose the carpet nem. A 29 is no place for a nem that gets as large as a trash can lid. Your goby will be a snack eventually and it will probably sting most of your corals too.

Thanks all for feedback hopefully I can fix this mess . I read somewhere to shut lights off for 72 hours any truth to that?

To my knowledge lighting isn't that much of a factor. Turning off lights for 3 days would just stress your corals.

Try to identify any sources of po4 too, like overfeeding. Also, try adjusting power heads to make sure all if your tank is getting adequate flow. As said earlier, cyano grows where flow isn't.

Thanks to everyone and there feedback my tank is good to go all cleared up and back on track.

Back
Top Bottom