Need help! not sure what is on my plants.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drinan96

Aquarium Advice Newbie
There is white/brownish stringy/snowy looking stuff on my plants. Fish seem okay so far but not sure what it is or how to fix this problem or why it’s happening. New to fish keeping. Freshwater planted tank.

Attachments

• A86693BD-4B46-4AD1-8EF6-85E382095572.jpg
    A86693BD-4B46-4AD1-8EF6-85E382095572.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 34
Looks like some algae.

How long has the tank been set up?

How long are you leaving the lights on for?

How is your circulation and water flow in the tank?

In my signature line below is a great article for beginning fishkeeping. Definitely worth it to have as a resource, especially to understanding the nitrification cycle.

Looks like some algae.

How long has the tank been set up?

How long are you leaving the lights on for?

How is your circulation and water flow in the tank?

In my signature line below is a great article for beginning fishkeeping. Definitely worth it to have as a resource, especially to understanding the nitrification cycle.

Tank has been set up for about 7 weeks now, I did the fishless cycle as the advice from my local fish store and took water sample in for tests weekly. Water parameters are all okay I believe PH:7 Ammonia:0 Nitrite:0 and Nitrate is between 30-40.

Lights are on for 6-8 hours depending on my work schedule.

I have recently added a small airstone to help with water flow.

How would I go about fixing if it is algae? I have a small bristlenose pleco in the tank as well as some harlequin rasbora and a dwarf gourami

Congratulations on getting the fishless cycle done.

A mystery snail, or a couple nerites could help, or a number of Ottos. I'm not particularly an advocate of getting a creature just to fix a problem, but all those are fun additions.

Nerites may lay sesame seed looking eggs which annoy some people. You can scrape them off, if they bother you. They are not viable as they need to be raised in brackish water. May require supplemental foods after the algae is gone.

Female MS often lay egg clutches which without a male would not be viable (could have had a male with the female before coming to your tank), and can be removed. Babies are super amazing too though.

Congratulations on getting the fishless cycle done.

A mystery snail, or a couple nerites could help, or a number of Ottos. I'm not particularly an advocate of getting a creature just to fix a problem, but all those are fun additions.

Nerites may lay sesame seed looking eggs which annoy some people. You can scrape them off, if they bother you. They are not viable as they need to be raised in brackish water. May require supplemental foods after the algae is gone.

Female MS often lay egg clutches which without a male would not be viable (could have had a male with the female before coming to your tank), and can be removed. Babies are super amazing too though.

Thankyou, I have gently cleaned off some of the visible algae during maintenance and will see how it goes now the air stone is in helping the flow, otherwise will look into the mystery snail or ottos ☺️

Don't get Otocinclus catfish for a new tank. They need biofilm, algae and driftwood, otherwise they starve. If you want Otocinclus catfish, wait until the tank has been set up for 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom