Tank too clean? Skip water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Let me start of with some info. I have a BC29 and upgraded pump to MJ1200 I have 2 Koralia 425 power heads. I have a Tunze 9002 skimmer and inTank media basket in chamber 2. I run chemi pure elite, purigen and phosguard. Temp is 78-79 degrees. I do a 5 gallon water change every week with pre mixed water from the LFS. I check salinity and throw a heater and power head in the bucket and wait for temp match. I use a turkey baster to blow off debris from the rocks. Then siphon water. Change filter floss and I'm done.

I've heard it from different LFS and on many forums that my tank "may" be too clean. I can't grow chaeto and I'm not getting any form of algae no kind what so ever. Not complaining trust me. Some have offered there advice saying skip a water change and see what happens with test results.

Your thoughts? Tank has been up and running since November.

Heck, at this point i wouldnt be doing water changes every week. Every two for sure (depending on your levels). I know some types if corals like dirtier water, and so does algae

Gboy66 said:
Heck, at this point i wouldnt be doing water changes every week. Every two for sure (depending on your levels). I know some types if corals like dirtier water, and so does algae

Hmmmm... This is interesting. How does water become too clean? An do you think skipping a week will hurt anything? I test all the time, only issue I've come across was phosphates. That's the only thing. Now I feed every other day and that seems to be helping. I never thought I'd have a problem with water being too clean lol. Not even anything on the glass or sand! I hope I didn't jinx myself but for real it's like I just started yesterday.

Could this be why no Coraline?

I don't feed my 30 gallon at all and I have Coraline. Your LR has to have some Coraline to begin with in order for it to spread. I don't think there's such a thing as having water that's too clean. That would mean its in a constant cycling process and ur testing would show that. If u don't have any Coraline, try introducing a well cured, Coraline covered piece of rock. It doesn't spread overnight. May take a few months. But it will eventually cover the surrounding rock

Back
Top Bottom